Silicon Valley Leadership Group
|Carl Guardino, President & CEO|
The Silicon Valley Leadership Group (SVLG) is a non-profit advocacy group in Silicon Valley, California, in the United States. Its members are businesses that operate in the valley and its purpose is to influence public policy relating to the valley.
The group was founded as the Silicon Valley Manufacturing Group (SVMG) by David Packard in 1978. In March 2005, it changed its name to Silicon Valley Leadership Group (SVLG). Carl Guardino was appointed CEO in January 1997.
Santa Clara sales tax measures
SVLG has been heavily involved with a number of sales taxes measures in the Santa Clara County specifically 1996, 2000, and the failed June 2006 measure. In June 2006, SVLG and the South Bay Labor Council outspent their opponents $1.2 million to $50,000 in an effort to raise the county sales tax further. In spite of this huge discrepancy SVLG lost.
At the same time SVLG was campaigning for increasing the local sales tax, they were en route to Sacramento on a lobbying junket to push for two bills - SB 1291 and AB 2218 - that would have exempt companies from state sales taxes for purchasing equipment used in manufacturing and research.
SVLG advocates immigration reform in the United States, claiming there is a growing lack of skilled labor in Silicon Valley that could be closed by immigration. Specifically, the SVLG advocates increasing the number of H-1B visas and easing access to green cards.
- Justine Burt (July 18, 2011). "Highlights of Silicon Valley Leadership Group’s June 2011 Energy Summit". Triple Pundit. Archived from the original on 2013-01-17.
- "The Silicon Valley Leadership Group - About Us".
- "About Us: Carl Guardino". svlg.org. Retrieved 10 Nov 2014.
-  Silicon Valley Leadership Group Bio for Carl Guardino
-  VTA page talking about defeat of June 2006 Measure A
-  Blog entry about No on June 2006 Measure A being sued
-  Reporting about attempt to silence June 2006 Santa Clara County Measure A opponents
-  June 2006 Election Results:
1115/1115 100.00% Vote Count Percent NO 153,592 57.13% YES 115,239 42.87% Total 268,831 100.00%
- Patrick Moore; Transportation Chair; Sierra Club; Loma Prieta Chapter. "Letters to the Editor" (PDF). p. 19.
- "Silicon Valley Leadership Group wants support for sales tax exemptions for larger businesses". San Jose Mercury News. April 19, 2006.[dead link]
- SB 1291, Elaine Alquist
- AB 2218, Alberto Torrico
- Jennifer Martinez (1 Aug 2013). "Tech and agriculture industries team up to lobby for immigration reform". The Hill. Retrieved 10 Nov 2014.
- Jeremy Quittner (26 Nov 2013). "Immigration Reform Pressures Mount". Inc.com. Retrieved 10 Nov 2014.
- Greg Baumann (2 Apr 2014). "If you want to see immigration reform in 2014, contact John Boehner". Silicon Valley Business Journal. Retrieved 10 Nov 2014.
- Lauren Hepler (5 Apr 2014). "Tech amasses lobbying clout on immigration". Silicon Valley Business Journal. Retrieved 11 Nov 2014.
- Electric Vehicles International (EVI)
- How Silicon Valley could become the Detroit of electric cars.
- A car that could save the planet—fast- Silicon Valley's big brains think they can beat Detroit and Tokyo.