Silk & Soul
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any sources. (June 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Silk & Soul|
|Studio album by Nina Simone|
|Recorded||RCA Victor's Studio B|
|Genre||R&B, blues, gospel, pop, vocal|
|Nina Simone chronology|
Silk & Soul is the thirteenth studio album by American musician Nina Simone released in October 1967 by RCA Victor. It features the cuts "Go To Hell" and a cover of "I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free".
Information about songs on this album
- In 1968, Simone got a Grammy nomination for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance for the song "You'll Go to Hell" from this album. She lost to Aretha Franklin.
- "It Be's That Way Sometime", a song written by Nina's brother Sam Waymon.
- "The Look of Love", a song by Burt Bacharach, originally written for the movie Casino Royale (1967).
- "I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel to Be Free", this song was written by Billy Taylor. It was later recorded by Solomon Burke and Levon Helm, and can be regarded as a civil rights anthem.
- "Turning Point", which at first seems to be a child's song about making a new friend, later turns into a song questioning the origins of racism. Lyrics written by Martha Holmes.
- "Consummation" is a love song written by Nina Simone.
|1.||"It Be's That Way Sometime"||Sam Waymon||2:58|
|2.||"The Look Of Love"||Burt Bacharach, Hal David||2:23|
|3.||"Go To Hell"||Morris Bailey, Jr.||2:49|
|4.||"Love O' Love"||Andy Stroud||5:06|
|6.||"I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free"||Billy Taylor||3:09|
|7.||"Turn Me On"||John D. Loudermilk||2:26|
|8.||"Turning Point"||Martha Holmes||2:01|
|9.||"Some Say"||Charles Reuben||2:10|
|2006 reissue bonus tracks|
|11.||"Why Must Your Love Well Be So Dry"||Harold Thomas, Randie Evretts, Virdia Crawford||2:20|
|12.||"Save Me"||Aretha Franklin, Carolyn Franklin, Curtis Ousley||3:22|
- Nina Simone - piano, vocals
- Gene Taylor - bass
- Sammy Lowe - arrangements, conductor
- Ray Hall - engineer
|This 1960s album–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|