Silver Creek High School (San Jose, California)
|Silver Creek High School|
3434 Silver Creek Road|
San Jose, California
|Type||Public high school|
|Motto||We lead, others follow.|
|School district||East Side Union High School District|
|Gender||Female & Male|
|Color(s)||Silver, Orange, Black, and White|
This section needs additional citations for verification. (February 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Silver Creek High School (San Jose, California) Silver Creek is one of only eight high schools in the nation to produce two Olympic Champions. Millard Hampton, a graduate of Silver Creek, won a Gold Medal at the 1976 Olympic Games in the 400-meter relay and a Silver Medal in the 200-meter dash. Andre Phillips, also a Silver Creek graduate, won a Gold Medal at the 1988 Olympic Games in the 400-meter hurdles.
Silver Creek holds an annual Track and Field invitational titled "Hampton Phillips Classic" held at San Jose City College. Silver Creek has won several CCS, League, and State titles in Track and Field and Cross Country. Silver Creek's Track and Field team remains in the top "Mt. Hamilton Division" in the Blossom Valley League. Silver Creek's Cross Country team also remains in "Mt. Hamilton Division" ever since the Blossom Valley League was created. The Wrestling team has also remained in the top division for at least two decades, and was undefeated in the 2016-17 season. Overall, typically half of the school's 14 varsity sports compete in the Mt. Hamilton Division.
The AP Program at Silver Creek is the largest in its district, offering 28+ AP Classes.
Silver Creek is also the only school in the district that offers a Japanese language program.
Silver Creek was shown on the television show MTV "Made" featuring a girl student trying to be made into a football player.
Silver Creek is ranked #1,563 out of about 21,000 high schools nationwide.
Silver Creek had a traditional "dirt" track until after the 1998–1999 school year. An 8-lane, red colored track, was then installed. The installation included surfacing for high jump, and the long/triple jump runways. Starting on June 27, 2012, all of Silver Creek's buildings have been painted to match the newer U-Building, and the new theater that was finished in 2014. The new colors are tan with green trim, replacing the older colors, white with maroon trim. Along with the new colors of the buildings, all of the light posts have been painted black, replacing the old maroon. In addition to the painting of the lights, new will be added and all existing lights on campus will be changed from yellow/sodium colored lights, to brighter LED lights. The school received a new turf football field, resurfaced track lanes, and stadium lighting in 2012. Photovoltaic panels were also installed in the student parking lot.
As of 2014–2015, the school enrolls 2,465 students. The 2015 population is 56% Asian (Pacific Islander and Filipino included), 36% Hispanic, 5% White, 2% African American, and 1% other. The student demographic at Silver Creek is very diverse, but is mostly (Vietnamese American). In 1969 the student demographic was 68% White, 29% Black, 1.5% Hispanic, 0.5% Asian, and 0.5% Native American.
- Boris Bandov, '71 was a former pro soccer player with San Jose Earthquakes
- Eldon Regua, '73, Major General, United States Army Reserve, currently Deputy Commanding General, US Eighth Army, Yongsan, Korea, completed tour as Commanding General, 75th Division (Training)
- Millard Hampton '74, competed in the 1976 Montreal Olympics with a gold medal in the 4 × 100 m relay, and a silver medal in the 200 m.
- Andre Phillips '77, won a gold medal at the 1988 Olympic Games in the 400-meter hurdles.
- Pellom McDaniels '86, played professional football for ten seasons: Birmingham Fire (World League of American Football)1991–92; Kansas City Chiefs, 1992–1998; Atlanta Falcons, 1999–2000.
- Silver Creek[permanent dead link]
- MTV's 'Made' in Los Altos – Los Altos Town Crier Archived 2007-09-27 at the Wayback Machine.
- U.S. News & World Report Education Best High Schools National Rankings
- California Department of Education Educational Demographics Unit Silver Creek High School Report of School Enrollment