Silver Creek High School (San Jose, California)
|Silver Creek High School|
We lead, others follow.
|3434 Silver Creek Road
San Jose, California
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||East Side Union High School District|
Silver, Orange, and BlackBuildings: Tan w/ Green Trim
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (February 2011)|
Silver Creek High School (San Jose, California) Silver Creek is one of only eight high schools in the nation to produce two Olympic Champions. Millard Hampton, a graduate of Silver Creek, won a Gold Medal at the 1976 Olympic Games in the 400-meter relay and a Silver Medal in the 200-meter dash. Andre Phillips, also a Silver Creek graduate, won a Gold Medal at the 1988 Olympic Games in the 400-meter hurdles.
Silver Creek holds an annual Track and Field invitational titled "Hampton Phillips Classic" held at San Jose City College. The Track and Field meet in named after Millard Hampton and Andre Phillips. Silver Creek has won several CCS, League, and State titles in Track and Field and Cross Country. Silver Creek's Track and Field team remains in "Mt. Hamilton Division" in the Blossom Valley League. Silver Creek's Cross Country team also remains in "Mt. Hamilton Division" ever since the Blossom Valley League was created.
The AP Program at Silver Creek is the largest in its district, offering 18 AP Classes.
Silver Creek is also the only school in the district that offers a Japanese language program.
Silver Creek was shown on the television show MTV "Made" featuring a girl student trying to be made into a football player.
Silver Creek had a traditional "dirt" track until after the 1998–1999 school year. An 8-lane, red colored track, was then installed. The installation included surfacing for high jump, and the long/triple jump runways. Starting on June 27, 2012, all of Silver Creek's buildings have been painted to match the newer U-Building, and the new theater that was finished in 2014. The new colors are tan with green trim, replacing the older colors, white with maroon trim. Along with the new colors of the buildings, all of the light posts have been painted black, replacing the old maroon. In addition to the painting of the lights, new will be added and all existing lights on campus will be changed from yellow/sodium colored lights, to brighter LED lights. The school received a new turf football field, resurfaced track lanes, and stadium lighting in 2012. Photovoltaic panels were also installed in the student parking lot .
- 100m - 10.4 (1973) - Millard Hampton
- 200m - 20.8 (1974) - Millard Hampton
- 400m - 47.78 (1990) - Curtis Shearer
- 800m - 1:57.77 (1996) - Enrique Torres
- 1600m - 4:15.72 (1996) - Enrique Torres
- 3200m - 9:10.3 (2015) - Azeem Khan
- 4 × 100 meters relay - 41.76 (1980) Raymond Holland, Robert Sterling, Rory Flint, Tim Peoples
- 4 × 400 meters relay - 3:16.33 (1988) Martin Greer, Bonzell Jenkins, Scott Goin, Devon Fitzhugh
- 110 m hurdles - 13.84h (1997) - Arend Watkins
- 300 m hurdles - 36.22 (1977) - Andre Phillips
- Pole Vault - 15'6" (1996) - Nguyen Vong
- Long Jump - 24'9" (1986) - Harold Rucker
- Triple Jump - 50'11.5" (1986) - Harold Rucker
- High Jump - 6'10" (1981) - Rory Flint
- Shot Put - 57'4.5" (1977) - Ray Gonzales
- Discus - 181.6' (1986) - Pellom McDaniels
- 100m - 11.8 (1978) Eloise Mallory
- 200m - 24.7 (1978) Eloise Mallory
- 400m - 55.2 (1976) Marquita Belk
- 800m - 2:11.13 (2003) Cherie McPherson
- 1600m - 4:46.74 (1983) Nanette Garcia
- 3200m - 10:30.90 (1982) Nanette Garcia
- 4 × 100 meters relay - 48.29 (1977) Marquita Belk, Eloise Mallory, Cynthia Black, Rosalyn Sparkman
- 4 × 400 meters relay - 3:54.85 (2003) Stephanie Eckels, Sharrell Smith, Kim Nguyen, Cherie McPherson
- 100 m hurdles - 15.00 (1993) Trecia Dyer
- 300 m hurdles - 43.34 (2000) Deanna Slaton
- Pole Vault - 9'6" (2005) Oanh Nguyen
- Long Jump - 18'111⁄2" (1974) Beverly James
- Triple Jump - 37'81⁄2" (1995)
- High Jump - 5'2 (1982)
- Shot Put - 43'2 (2003) Kelechi Anyanwu
- Discus - 144'5 (1982) Stephanie Townsel
As of 2006–2007, the school enrolls 2,379 students. The student demographic at Silver Creek is very diverse, but is mostly (Vietnamese American). The 2009 population is 51% Asian (Pacific Islander included), 41% Hispanic, 5% White, 3% African American, and 1% other. In 1969 the student demographic was 68% White, 29% Black, 1.5% Hispanic, 0.5% Asian, and 0.5% Native American.
- Boris Bandov, '71 was a former pro soccer player with San Jose Earthquakes
- Eldon Regua, '73, Major General, United States Army Reserve, currently Deputy Commanding General, US Eighth Army, Yongsan, Korea, completed tour as Commanding General, 75th Division (Training)
- Millard Hampton '74, competed in the 1976 Montreal Olympics with a gold medal in the 4 × 100 m relay, and a silver medal in the 200 m.
- Andre Phillips '77, won a gold medal at the 1988 Olympic Games in the 400-meter hurdles.
- Pellom McDaniels '86, played professional football for ten (10)seasons: Birmingham Fire (World League of American Football)1991-92; Kansas City Chiefs, 1992-1998; Atlanta Falcons, 1999-2000.
- Silver Creek High School website
- Silver Creek High School profile provided by schooltree.org
- Silver Creek High School information
- greatschools Silver Creek High School
- East Side Union High School District website
- California All-Weather Tracks Bay Area and Northern California