Silver Peak Systems
|Industry||Networking hardware Software|
|Headquarters||Santa Clara, California|
Silver Peak is a company that develops products for wide area networks (WANs). Its technology augments or replaces Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) networks with secure Internet connectivity, marketed as an SD-WAN. The company was founded in 2004 by David Hughes. Silver Peak shipped its first product, the NX-series hardware appliance, in September 2005.
Silver Peak's products fall under three categories: 1) finding connectivity alternatives in branch offices (EdgeConnect virtual and physical appliances), 2) improving application performance over distance (VX & NX appliances), and 3) accelerating replication workloads (VRX & NX appliances). Silver Peak offers both physical and virtual(software) products for each use case.
Silver Peak's Unity EdgeConnect appliances are both physical (EC) and virtual (EC-V) form factors that create a virtual network overlay, allowing companies to use broadband Internet WAN connectivity with or in-place of Multiprotocol Label Switching connectivity. See Also SD-WAN.
WAN Optimization Appliances
NX = Physical Appliance VX = Virtual Appliance
VRX Virtual Replication Acceleration Appliances
Silver Peak is a Dell partner for WAN optimization in over 30 countries, where Dell resells Silver Peak to improve the performance of Dell storage (EqualLogic and Compellent), networking (Force10), server, and virtual desktop (VDI) implementations over the wide area network.
Silver Peak partners with VMware to offer its virtual WAN optimization products as part of the VMware vCloud Air offering.
EMC Corporation resells Silver Peak physical and virtual WAN optimization appliances, which are available through the EMC Select program. Silver Peak is also the only WAN optimization product qualified and integrated with EMC’s VPLEX Geo. Silver Peak’s WAwan optimization products are E-lab qualified on Symmetrix Remote Data Facility/Asynchronous (SRDF/A), Symmetrix Remote Data Facility/Data Mobility (SRDF/DM), SAN Copy, Celerra Replicator, Isilon SyncIQ, RecoverPoint, and Atmos.
Hitachi Data Systems
- "Silver Peak releases software-only WAN optimization". Network World. July 13, 2011.
- "Silver Peak launches gear to boost hybrid WAN performance". SearchNetworking(TechTarget). June 16, 2015.
- "Silver Peak Announces Virtual WAN Optimization Platform". Network Computing. June 23, 2010.
- "Silver Peak bolsters virtual WAN optimization software". Network World. May 21, 2012.
- "Silver Peak Launches IP Accelerator For WAN Links". InformationWeek. June 6, 2011.
- "Silver Peak expands reach with Dell to global markets". Data Centre Solutions Europe. May 9, 2012.
- "Silver Peak's Data Center Class WAN Optimization Solution Now Available Through Dell". Reuters. August 3, 2010.
- "Silver Peak integrates with EMC VPLEX Geo for private clouds". SearchNetworking.com. May 19, 2011.
- "Silver Peak attacks big data WAN latency with new EMC collaboration". SearchEnterpriseWAN. April 18, 2012.
- "Silver Peak Tightens Partnership With HDS". Network Computing. May 19, 2010.