Silver Shadow (ship)
Silver Shadow is a cruise ship that entered service in 2000, and is operated by Silversea Cruises. The passenger capacity is 382 passengers, and there are 295 crew members. Her sister ship is the Silver Whisper, and both ships were built by the Mariotti Shipyard in Genoa, Italy. They both have a high space-to-passenger ratio at 74, providing more space per passenger than any other cruise ship. Space ratio is calculated by dividing a vessel's gross tonnage by its passenger capacity. The passenger-to-crew ratio is also high, at 1.31 to 1.
There are 194 outside suites, ranging in size from 287 square feet (26.7 m2) to 1,435 square feet (133.3 m2), and some 80% of them feature teak balconies.
On 16 March 2012, the Silver Shadow collided with another ship in thick fog off Vietnam. She was about five miles off the coast in Ha Long Bay when the accident occurred in the morning. There were reports of damage to the container ship and unconfirmed container ship crew injuries. There were no reports of injuries on the Silver Shadow, which passengers described as receiving some damage to her bow. The Silver Shadow continued her voyage 90 minutes later.
On 17 June, 2013, in Skagway, Alaska, the ship failed a surprise inspection conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Crew members had alerted inspectors that supervisors ordered them to store food in their living spaces, not in refrigerators in order to hide the food from inspectors. The lead inspector ordered contaminated foods be discarded. He personally poured concentrated bleach on the food as it was thrown away to ensure it would not be salvaged and served later. The CDC has no authority to fine or detain a ship, so the ship was allowed to continue with its passengers.
- The Restaurant (424 person capacity)
- The Athenian Show Lounge - a multi-tiered lounge (356 person capacity)
- The Terrace Cafe with indoor and outdoor dining areas (170 person capacity indoors/48 person capacity outdoors)
- Panorama Lounge (162 person capacity)
- The Casino with Casino Bar (Blackjack, Roulette, Slot Machines, and Bar)
- The Bar (109 person capacity)
- The Humidor by Davidoff - a cigar club (20 person capacity)
- Le Champagne by Moët et Chandon - a wine and champagne bar (24 person capacity)
- Conference room (36 person capacity)
- Card Room (22 person capacity)
- Computer Center (5 personal computers with internet access and a Bloomberg Terminal)
- The Observation Lounge (55 person capacity)
- Poolside Grill and Bar (24 person capacity at grill/32 person capacity at bar)
- Mandara Spa
- Ship's Boutique
- Bulgari Boutique
- Beauty salon and Fitness Center
- Men's and ladies' Sauna and Steam rooms
- Outdoor heated saltwater pool
- 2 Whirlpools
- 2 Outdoor showers
- 1 Outdoor Shuffleboard court
- Outdoor artificial turf jogging track
- Outdoor golf driving cage
- "SILVER SHADOW In Collision With Container Ship | MaritimeMatters | Cruise ship news and ocean liner history". MaritimeMatters. 2012-03-19. Retrieved 2012-03-19.
- "Luxury cruise liner involved in collision off Vietnam". cnn.com. Retrieved 2012-03-19.
- Silver Shadow: Silversea Cruises ship fails surprise health inspection, by David Fitzpatrick and Drew Griffin, CNN, 25 June 2013
- CNN Covers Silver Shadow Cover Up of Nasty Sanitation Practices - While Silversea Cruises Refuses to Talk, by Jim Walker, Cruiselaw.com. 25 June 2013
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Silver Shadow.|