Silver Spring station (Baltimore and Ohio Railroad)
Silver Spring station in 2012
Silver Spring Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Station
|Location||8100 Georgia Avenue|
Silver Spring, Maryland
|Area||0.5 acres (0.20 ha)|
|Built by||Steiner Construction Co.|
|Architect||Engineer of Buildings, B & O RR Co.|
|Architectural style||Colonial Revival|
|NRHP reference #||00001035|
|Added to NRHP||August 31, 2000|
Silver Spring station is a historic building located at Silver Spring in Montgomery County, Maryland on the Metropolitan Subdivision. It was built in 1945 on the foundation of the original station, a Victorian-style brick structure built in 1878. It was designed in the Colonial Revival style and built from standardized plans developed for B&O stations in the mid-1940s. Amtrak's Blue Ridge served the station until it was discontinued in 1986.
MARC Brunswick Line service at the station ended in 2000, and trains now stop at nearby Silver Spring station where transfer to the Washington Metro is available. The 1945 station was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2000 as the Silver Spring Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Station and restored in 2002.
The original 1940s waiting room furniture remains in the station, as are the original recessed fluorescent lighting fixtures. The Eastbound Waiting Room, a small rectangular building of similar design, stood on the south side of the tracks until it was lost to redevelopment in 2008. Originally built along with the station in 1945, it was razed and rebuilt in 1976, to make way for tracks laid for the Washington Metro. An underground pedestrian tunnel connecting the two buildings beneath the track bed still exists, but is closed to the public. The station is owned by Montgomery Preservation, Inc., a non-profit organization, which opens the building for tours.
- "Amtrak Timetable - Effective April 27, 1986". timetables.org. Amtrak. April 27, 1986. p. 35. Retrieved November 20, 2018.
- "Amtrak Timetable - Effective October 26, 1986". timetables.org. Amtrak. October 26, 1986. p. 36. Retrieved November 20, 2018.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. July 9, 2010.
- Harwood, Jr., Herbert H. (1979). Impossible Challenge: The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad in Maryland. Baltimore, MD: Barnard, Roberts. p. 272. ISBN 0-934118-17-5.
- Amtrak Timetables; October 25, 1981; Capitol Limited (Museum of Railway Timetables)
- Montgomery Preservation, Inc. Rockville, MD. "Historic Silver Spring Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Station." Brochure. Accessed 2010-09-09.
- Genevieve Courbois; Nancy Urban & Eileen McGuckian (February 2000). "National Register of Historic Places Registration: Silver Spring Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Station" (PDF). Maryland Historical Trust. Retrieved 2016-01-01.
Media related to Silver Spring Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Station at Wikimedia Commons
- Silver Spring B&O Railroad Station, Montgomery County, Inventory No.: M: 36-15, including photo in 2004, at Maryland Historical Trust website
- Silver Spring Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Station - Information from the Town of Silver Spring