Silverdale, from the University of Waikato.
|Local authority||Hamilton, New Zealand|
|Electoral ward||Hamilton East|
It was named Silverdale after the original farm on the land, which itself was named after the shining silver poplar leaves.
Features of Silverdale
The suburb forms a large part of the University of Waikato's commercial, residential and educational hinterland. Jansen Park, located between Morrinsville Rd and Masters Ave, is the biggest park in the area and is used for club soccer during the winter sports season. The main suburban shopping centre is located on Silverdale Rd.
According to the 2006 census, Silverdale has a population of 2514. The Index of Socioeconomic Deprivation, ranked 1-10 from lowest to most deprived areas, lists Silverdale at 8/10 (high deprivation). Many students live in the suburb due to its close proximity to the University of Waikato.
- Hillcrest High School is a state co-educational high school (years 9-13) school with a decile rating of 8 and a roll of 1602.
- Silverdale Normal School is a state co-educational primary school (years 1-6) school with a decile rating of 7 and a roll of 285.
- Street Name Index - Hamilton Public Library, Hamilton
- "Silverdale Quickfacts". Retrieved 5 October 2010.
- "Index of Socioeconomic Deprivation for Areas within the Hamilton East Electorate". Parliament New Zealand. Retrieved 3 October 2010.
- TKI entry for Hillcrest High School
- TKI entry for Silverdale Normal School
|This Waikato geography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|