|• Total||52.7 sq mi (136.5 km2)|
|• Land||52.5 sq mi (136.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.4 km2)|
|Elevation||1,178 ft (359 m)|
|• Density||6.2/sq mi (2.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0469088|
The post office was established June 5, 1871, and temporarily closed October 19, 1883 before being reopened December 12, 1883. It was permanently closed on July 31, 1964.
At one time the town had a hotel, general store, bank, and other businesses supporting a population of over 100 people. Today only a church and limestone quarry remain with perhaps a dozen residences. The quarry specialized in fine cut, quality limestone that fetches $300 and more per ton.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Silverdale, Kansas
- "Kansas Post Offices, 1828-1961, page 2". Kansas Historical Society. Retrieved 6 June 2014.
- History of Cowley County Kansas; D.A. Millington / E.P. Greer; Winfield Courier; 162 pages; 1901. (Download 16MB PDF eBook)
- History of the State of Kansas; William G. Cutler; A.T. Andreas Publisher; 1883. (Online HTML eBook)
- Kansas : A Cyclopedia of State History, Embracing Events, Institutions, Industries, Counties, Cities, Towns, Prominent Persons, Etc; 3 Volumes; Frank W. Blackmar; Standard Publishing Co; 944 / 955 / 824 pages; 1912. (Volume1 - Download 54MB PDF eBook), (Volume2 - Download 53MB PDF eBook), (Volume3 - Download 33MB PDF eBook)
|This article about a location in Cowley County, Kansas is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|