This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Whitemans Road, Silverstream, Upper Hutt|
|Type||Co-educational Primary School (Year 1-6) |
|Motto||Learners motivated to achieve and succeed |
|Ministry of Education Institution no.||2990|
|Principal||Lisa Cavanagh |
|School roll||489 (February 2017)|
|Socio-economic decile||10 |
The School & Facilities
Silverstream School teaches pupils ranging from years 1 - 6 with a current role count of around 500 primary pupils, and employs around about 35 full-time staff. It was established in 1924 and the town of Silverstream expanded around it, meaning it has always been at the centre of the town. Silverstream School is currently headed by Lisa Cavanagh, replacing Mary Ely, who began work in 2008. The deputy principal role is shared by Bryan Trevean and Zac Mills, who started work in 2016. The school has 22 classes, with three separate school syndicates; Ako Iti (Years 1 & 2), Ako Whanake (Years 3 & 4) and Ako Nui (Years 5 & 6).
Academically, Silverstream School enters into the ICAS mathematics and English competitions, as well as the Otago Problem Solving challenge for senior students. Culturally, the school has its own choir for each syndicate level and a small in school orchestra for anyone who wants to participate. Students are also encouraged to perform their talents in the weekly assemblies. Each syndicate has its own assembly, and a full school assembly is held each week, which is hosted by senior syndicate students.
Since 2008, the school has been renovated extensively, including full repainting and a planned library and information centre. The grounds are also sometimes used for events, such as running races and meetings.
- ERO Report http://www.ero.govt.nz/Early-Childhood-School-Reports/School-Reports/Silverstream-School-21-12-2008
- "Silverstream School Principal". Retrieved 19 February 2017.
- "Directory of Schools - as at 6 March 2017". New Zealand Ministry of Education. Retrieved 10 April 2017.
- "TKI - Silverstream School Profile and Contact Details". 28 April 2016.
- "Silverstream School Website with school motto under header". 28 April 2016.
- "Staff". Silverstream School. Retrieved 2017-02-18.
- Active Communities Investment Project shines in first year in Upper Hutt - SPARC. Accessed 12 August 2010. http://www.sparc.org.nz/en-nz/communities-and-clubs/Active-Communities/Sharing-Good-Practice/Active-Communities-Investment-Project-shines-in-first-year-in-Upper-Hutt/
- "Meeting on skatepark". Upper Hutt Leader. 7 October 2009. Retrieved 11 November 2011.
- Tom Cardy. "Beaver: A shy and mighty vocalist". The Dominion Post. Retrieved 12 August 2010.
Beverly Morrison grew up in the Hutt Valley, one of four children, and went to Silverstream School...