Silvio Pettirossi International Airport
Silvio Pettirossi International Airport
Aeropuerto Internacional Silvio Pettirossi
|Opened||June 11, 1938|
|Time zone||Time in Paraguay (UTC−04:00)|
|Elevation AMSL||89 m / 292 ft|
Silvio Pettirossi International Airport (IATA: ASU, ICAO: SGAS) is the main national and international gateway of Paraguay, located at the municipality of Luque, and serving the capital city, Asunción. It is named after the Paraguayan aviator Silvio Pettirossi but between 1980 and 1989 it was known as President Stroessner International Airport, after the former head of state of Paraguay General Alfredo Stroessner.
In 2019, Pettirossi handled a record 1.24 million passengers, making it the busiest airport in the country. It is the main international hub for LATAM Paraguay and Paranair.
Some of its facilities are shared with the Ñu-Guazú Air Force Base of the Paraguayan Air Force.
The airport was dedicated on 11 June 1938. The original passenger terminal, located near threshold 02, is now used by the Grupo Aerotáctico (GAT) of the Paraguayan Air Force whereas the present terminal was dedicated on 20 March 1980.
The terminal building splits into two international concourses, the north concourse with 2 gates (5 and 6) and the south concourse with 4 gates (1 to 4). The airport is being expanded to accommodate more gates.
Iberia provided direct flights to Asunción from Madrid from around 1968 until the mid-nineties. Lufthansa flew once a week from Frankfurt to Asunción from 1971 to 1980, with DC-10 service starting in 1974. For both airlines, the flights included multiple stops in destinations throughout South America.
Airlines and destinations
|LATAM Cargo Brasil||Medellín-JMC|
These data show number of passengers movements into the airport, according to the Dirección Nacional de Aeronáutica Civil's Aviation Sector Summary Reports.
|Source: Dirección Nacional de Aeronáutica Civil (DINAC). Aviation Sector Reports (2010-2020)|
Top routes in 2018
|1||Buenos Aires–Ezeiza||40||Aerolíneas Argentinas, LATAM Paraguay|
|2||São Paulo–Guarulhos||32||Gol, LATAM Paraguay|
|3||Montevideo||19||Amaszonas Uruguay, Paranair|
|4||Panama City||16||Copa Airlines|
|5||Santa Cruz–Viru Viru||13||Amaszonas|
|6||Lima||12||Avianca Peru, LATAM Paraguay|
|7||Encarnación||10||Paranair, Sol del Paraguay|
|8||Ciudad del Este||9||Paranair, Sol del Paraguay|
The airport, located within the municipality of Luque is located 10 km (6 mi) from downtown Asunción.
It may be reached via the Aviadores del Chaco Avenue, which runs adjacent to nearby Ñu Guasú Park. Local bus line 30-A links the Asunción downtown with the airport terminal.
Accidents and incidents
- 16 June 1955: a Panair do Brasil Lockheed L-149 Constellation registration PP-PDJ operating flight 263 from São Paulo-Congonhas to Asunción hit a 12m tree while on final approach to land at Asunción. Part of the wing broke off, the aircraft crashed and caught fire. Of the 24 passengers and crew aboard, 16 died.
- 27 August 1959: an Aerolíneas Argentinas de Havilland DH-106 Comet 4 registration LV-AHP operating a flight from Buenos Aires to Asunción, while on approach to Asunción under bad weather made a forced landing close to the airport. A crew member and a passenger died.
- 29 August 1980: a Transporte Aéreo Militar – TAM Paraguayo Douglas C-47B registration FAP2016 crashed on approach to Asunción. The aircraft was on a flight to Ayolas when an engine failed shortly after take-off and the decision was made to land back at Asunción. One person was killed.
- 4 February 1996: a cargo LAC Colombia Douglas DC-8-55F registration HK-3979X on an empty positioning flight around Asunción prior to a flight from Asunción to Campinas. At VR power was reduced on no. 1 engine and, after rotation, also on the no. 2 engine. With the gear still down and flaps at 15° the aircraft lost control and crashed on a playing field 2 km past the runway. The crew possibly used the positioning flight as an opportunity for crew training. All four occupants of the aircraft and 20 persons on the ground died.
- "Aeropuerto Internacional "Silvio Pettirossi" Informe Estadístico del Transporte Aéreo" (PDF). DINAC (in Spanish). Retrieved 15 March 2021.
- "Reseña Historica", DINAC (in Spanish), 9 January 2010, retrieved 25 February 2021
- "Un día como hoy se inauguraba la actual terminal del aeropuerto de Asunción". Aeronauticapy (in Spanish). 20 March 2019. Retrieved 25 February 2021. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "A 50 años del primer vuelo de Iberia a Asunción". 1 July 2016. Archived from the original on 28 October 2017. Retrieved 27 October 2017.
- "Un día como hoy de 1974 Lufthansa llegaba a Asunción con DC10". 5 July 2016. Archived from the original on 28 October 2017. Retrieved 27 October 2017.
- Color, ABC. "Llegó a Paraguay primer vuelo de Air Europa - Nacionales - ABC Color". Archived from the original on 10 January 2016. Retrieved 4 January 2016.
- "Los vuelos internacionales que tendrá Aeroparque a partir del 16 de marzo". Aviacionline (in Spanish). 15 March 2021. Retrieved 15 March 2021.
- "Air Europa sumará frecuencias a Asunción en diciembre" (in Spanish). 27 October 2020. Retrieved 2 November 2020.
- "Paraguay: Actualización de vuelos regulares en diciembre". Aeronauticapy (in Spanish). 5 December 2020. Retrieved 6 December 2020.
- "Avianca anuncia segunda etapa de recuperación de rutas (incluye Asunción)". Aeronauticapy (in Spanish). 21 October 2020. Retrieved 2 November 2020.
- "Copa Airlines anuncia reinicio de operaciones en Paraguay". Aeronauticapy (in Spanish). 15 October 2020. Retrieved 2 November 2020.
- "Eastern Airlines anuncia vuelos sin escalas entre Miami y Asunción". Aeronauticapy (in Spanish). 23 October 2020. Retrieved 2 November 2020.
- "Gol aplaza (por cuarta vez) reinicio de ruta São Paulo-Asunción". Aeronauticapy (in Spanish). 27 February 2021. Retrieved 27 February 2021.
- "Latam Airlines retoma hoy sus vuelos regulares a Paraguay". Aeronauticapy (in Spanish). 2 November 2020. Retrieved 2 November 2020.
- "Paranair anuncia reinicio de vuelos a Aeroparque". Aeronauticapy (in Spanish). 24 March 2021. Retrieved 26 March 2021.
- "Paranair oficializa malla de vuelos regulares para noviembre". Aeronauticapy (in Spanish). 31 October 2020. Retrieved 2 November 2020.
- "Paranair anuncia relanzamiento de ruta Asunción-Ciudad del Este". Aeronauticapy (in Spanish). 24 February 2021. Retrieved 25 February 2021.
- "Paranair anuncia vuelos de temporada a Floripa y Río". Aeronauticapy (in Spanish). 3 December 2020. Retrieved 9 December 2020.
- "Datos Estadísticos mensuales del Transporte Aéreo Comercial en Paraguay". DINAC (in Spanish). Retrieved 15 March 2021.
- "Asuncion Silvio Pettirossi International Airport". flightradar24. January 2018. Archived from the original on 6 February 2018. Retrieved 5 February 2018.
- "Accident description PP-PDJ". Aviation Safety Network. Archived from the original on 12 November 2013. Retrieved 22 May 2013.
- Germano da Silva, Carlos Ari César (2008). "Noite do Paraguai". O rastro da bruxa: história da aviação comercial brasileira no século XX através dos seus acidentes 1928–1996 (in Portuguese) (2 ed.). Porto Alegre: EDIPUCRS. pp. 145–149. ISBN 978-85-7430-760-2.
- "Accident description LV-AHP". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved 25 February 2021.
- "Accident description FAP2016". Aviation Safety Network. Archived from the original on 2 November 2012. Retrieved 24 July 2010.
- "Accident description HK-3979X". Aviation Safety Network. Archived from the original on 1 March 2012. Retrieved 1 July 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Silvio Pettirossi International Airport.|