Simi Valley High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Simi Valley High School|
|5400 Cochran Street
Simi Valley, California
|School district||Simi Valley Unified School District|
|Number of students||2,287 (2013-2014)|
|Color(s)||Maroon and gold|
|Athletics conference||Coastal Canyon League|
Track & Field
|Mascot||Herman, or Hermie, the Pioneer|
Simi Valley High School (SVHS) is a public high school in Simi Valley, California, nestled in the shadow of the Santa Susana Mountains and adjacent to the San Fernando Valley. The athletic teams are known as the Pioneers. The school's mascot is Herman, or Hermie the Pioneer. Herman dates from around 1940 as the school's mascot. SVHS colors are maroon and gold. The school colors were originally purple and silver but were changed in the mid-1920s.
Simi Valley High was established in 1920 as the valley's first high school. Simi Valley High School has undergone several configurations over the years to become the 50.4-acre (204,000 m2) campus it is today. The current campus was built in three phases during the 1960s. Based on the physical concept of "schools-within-a-school," Simi Valley High School was constructed with three instructional quads, each having an administrative area. The original design also included one main administration building.
Currently, the school is configured with five major instructional areas, a multipurpose building, a gym and dressing room facilities, a library, a counseling facility, an administration building, a new area of portable classrooms, a stadium and athletic fields, a new senior patio, and a band room with all different types of instruments.
Simi Valley High School was ranked as the 555th best high school in the United States by MSNBC's Top 1000 High Schools. It has been a California Distinguished School since 1996. The school is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) through the 2010 school year.
- Steven Dehler, actor, model, and dancer
- Jenna Leigh Green, Libby Chessler in Sabrina, the Teenage Witch
- Danielle Savre, played Kaya in Kaya
- Shailene Woodley, actress, The Descendants, The Fault in Our Stars, Divergent
- David Farley, author and journalist
- Bryan Anderson, Major League Baseball player in the St. Louis Cardinals organization.
- Tim Laker, former Major League Baseball player.
- Don MacLean, all-time UCLA basketball scoring leader and NBA player.
- Ben Orloff, minor league baseball player
- Scott Radinsky, former Major League Baseball player.
- Bob Skube, retired Major League Baseball player.
- Jeff Weaver, Major League Baseball player for the Los Angeles Dodgers
- Jered Weaver, Major League Baseball player for the Los Angeles Angels.
- Tom Herman, head coach of the University of Texas football team
- Rick Coonce, drummer, The Grass Roots
- Scott Radinsky, singer, Ten Foot Pole and Pulley; drummer, Scared Straight.
- "Pioneer Athletics". Simi Valley High School. Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- "Bryan Anderson Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved December 3, 2012.
- "Tim Laker Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved December 3, 2012.
- "Don MacLean". Basketball-Reference.Com. Retrieved December 3, 2012.
- Jorrey, Kyle (2005-03-11). "Ben Orloff: standing tall at shortstop | www.simivalleyacorn.com". Simi Valley Acorn. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- "Scott Radinsky Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved December 3, 2012.
- "Bob Skube Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved December 3, 2012.
- "Jeff Weaver Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved December 3, 2012.
- "Jered Weaver Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved December 3, 2012.