|Type of business||Private|
Type of site
|Digital Market Intelligence|
|Headquarters||New York City, London, Tel Aviv,|
|Industry||Advertising, Information technology|
Type of site
|Alexa rank||1,675 (Global, June 2017[update])|
|Written in||Apache Hadoop|
The company was founded in 2007 by Or Offer in Tel-Aviv, Israel. 2009 SimilarWeb won the first Israeli SeedCamp, attracting the attention of international media and investors. The company raised its Series A round of $1.1 million the investment led by Yossi Vardi, and Docor International Management. SimilarSites, a browser extension to help users find sites similar to the one they are visiting, was launched later that year. 2013 On January 29, 2013, SimilarWeb raised another $2.5 million. On September 24, 2013, the company closed an additional $3.5 million extension to its Series B round led by David Alliance, Moshe Lichtman and participation of existing investor Docor International Management. On February 24, 2014, South Africa media giant Naspers invested $18 million into SimilarWeb by funding a Series C. Within a month, SimilarWeb used a part of the capital for the acquisition of Israeli early-stage company TapDog for a few million dollars in shares and cash, less than a year after TapDog was founded. In November 2014, SimilarWeb announced that it had collected funds for its global expansion and enhancement of its mobile insights and mobile app platform. To this initiative, Naspers and Lord David Alliance contributed $15 million in a series D investment. SimilarWeb's most notable clients include PayPal, eBay Inc., Flipkart, Adidas and others. On December 10, 2015, SimilarWeb announced it had acquired Quettra, a Silicon Valley based mobile intelligence startup, to boost its mobile operations., Quettra provided personalization tools to developers in return for detailed mobile telemetry data.
SimilarWeb uses data extracted from four main sources: 1) A panel of web surfers made of millions of anonymous users equipped with a portfolio of apps, browser plugins, desktop extensions and software; 2) Global and Local ISPs and data partnerships; 3) Web traffic directly measured from a learning set of selected websites and apps intended for specialized estimation algorithms; 4) A colony of web crawlers that scan the entire Web and apps stores.
- "Or Offer-Person Overview". CrunchBase. Retrieved 18 August 2014.
- "Or Offer interview on Startup Camel". Sturtup Camel. Retrieved 18 August 2014.
- "SimilarWeb.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved June 12, 2017.
- Buchuk, Daniel. "Introducing SimilarWeb!". Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- "SimilarWeb organization". CrunchBase. Retrieved 3 August 2014.
- "CEO profile". CrunchBase. Retrieved 3 August 2014.
- "Series A funding". TechCrunch. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "Series B funding". CrunchBase. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "Series B additional funding". CrunchBase. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "Docor International Management". VentureDeal. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "Series C funding". CrunchBase. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "TapDog Acquisition". Globes Inc. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- Sarah Perez (29 January 2013). "SimilarGroup Raises $2.5 Million To Take On Alexa’s (Often Terrible) Web Rankings With Its New SimilarWeb Service". TechCrunch. Retrieved 6 June 2015.
- Rebecca Grant (29 January 2013). "SimilarGroup takes new funding to take on Alexa". VentureBeat. Retrieved 6 June 2015.
- "Quettra Acquisition". TechCrunch. Retrieved 10 December 2015.
- Sarah Perez (29 January 2013). "Alexa’s (Often Terrible) Web Rankings With Its New SimilarWeb Service". TechCrunch. Retrieved 6 June 2015.
- "Our Data & Methodology: Understanding the Digital World by Turning Data into Insights" (PDF). SimilarWeb. Retrieved 6 June 2015.
- Eric Auchard (29 September 2014). "SimilarWeb unifies mapping of mobile and computer Web". Reuters. Retrieved 6 June 2015.