|Headquarters||London, United Kingdom|
|Industry||Advertising, Information technology|
|Type of site||Web traffic and ranking|
Type of site
|Written in||Apache Hadoop|
|1,483 (February 2015[update])|
SimilarWeb Ltd. (formerly SimilarGroup) is an information technology company co-founded in 2007 by Or Offer. From its headquarters in London, U.K., SimilarWeb provides services in Market Intelligence, web analytics, data mining and business intelligence for international corporations. Through its main platform called SimilarWeb, it uses big data technologies to collect, measure, analyze and provide user engagement statistics for websites and mobile apps.
Or Offer co-founded SimilarWeb in 2007 in Tel-Aviv, Israel. Later, the company moved its headquarters to London, U.K. The company raised $65M till today, On May 31, 2010 the company raised it's Series A round of $1.1 million the investment led by Yossi Vardi, Docor International Management, Liron Rose, and Omer Kaplan. On January 29, 2013, SimilarWeb raised another $2.5 million. On September 24, 2013, the company closed an additional $3.5 million extension to its Series B round led by David Alliance, Moshe Lichtman and participation of existing investor Docor International Management. On February 24, 2014, South Africa media giant Naspers invested $18 million into SimilarWeb by funding a Series C. Within a month, SimilarWeb used a part of the capital for the acquisition of Israeli early-stage company TapDog for a few million dollars in shares and cash, less than a year after TapDog was founded. In November 2014, SimilarWeb announced that it had collected funds for its global expansion and enhancement of its mobile insights and mobile app platform. To this initiative, Naspers and Lord David Alliance contributed $15 million in a series D investment. SimilarWeb's most notable clients include PayPal, eBay Inc., Flipkart, Adidas and others.
In June 2013, SimilarWeb released SimilarWeb PRO, an advanced version of the free and general purpose SimilarWeb. In addition, SimilarWeb provides its data in form of API. SimilarWeb uses data extracted from four main sources: 1) A panel of web surfers made of millions of anonymous users equipped with a portfolio of apps, browser plugins, desktop extensions and software; 2) Global and Local ISPs; 3) Web traffic directly measured from a learning set of selected websites and intended for specialized estimation algorithms; 4) A colony of web crawlers that scan the entire Web.
- "Or Offer-Person Overview". CrunchBase. Retrieved 18 August 2014.
- "Or Offer interview on Startup Camel". Sturtup Camel. Retrieved 18 August 2014.
- Buchuk, Daniel. "Introducing SimilarWeb!". Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- "SimilarWeb.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved August 3, 2014.
- "SimilarWeb organization". CrunchBase. Retrieved 3 August 2014.
- "CEO profile". CrunchBase. Retrieved 3 August 2014.
- Mike Shields (May 23, 2014). "Why Lower Rated Broadcast Comedies Like NBC's Community Are Hits on Hulu". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 18 August 2014.
- "Series A funding". TechCrunch. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "Series B funding". CrunchBase. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "Series B additional funding". CrunchBase. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "Docor International Management". VentureDeal. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "Sries C funding". CrunchBase. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "TapDog Acquisition". Globes Inc. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- Sarah Perez (29 January 2013). "SimilarGroup Raises $2.5 Million To Take On Alexa's (Often Terrible) Web Rankings With Its New SimilarWeb Service". TechCrunch. Retrieved 6 June 2015.
- Rebecca Grant (29 January 2013). "SimilarGroup takes new funding to take on Alexa". VentureBeat. Retrieved 6 June 2015.
- Chaffrey, Dave. "A new online competitive intelligence tool". Smart Insights. Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- "SimilarWeb APIs: unveiling the story behind every website on the internet". 3scale. Retrieved 18 August 2014.
- Sarah Perez (29 January 2013). "Alexa's (Often Terrible) Web Rankings With Its New SimilarWeb Service". TechCrunch. Retrieved 6 June 2015.
- "Our Data & Methodology: Understanding the Digital World by Turning Data into Insights" (PDF). SimilarWeb. Retrieved 6 June 2015.
- Eric Auchard (29 September 2014). "SimilarWeb unifies mapping of mobile and computer Web". Reuters. Retrieved 6 June 2015.