Simon Anderson holds a surfboard at North Narrabeen Beach, NSW, Australia.
|Born||7 July 1954|
|Known for||Professional surfer and inventor of the three fin surfboard|
Simon Anderson (born 7 July 1954) is an Australian competitive surfer, surfboard shaper, and writer. He is credited with the 1980 invention of a three-fin surfboard design, called the "thruster", which remains the industry standard.
Anderson grew up in the Northern Beaches area of Sydney with three brothers. His family lived in a house that overlooked Collaroy Beach. In 1977, he won the junior division at the Bells Beach Classic Easter competition and began shaping surfboards in the Sydney suburb of Brookvale.
In October 1980, after seeing a twin fin surfboard with a "trigger point" fin Anderson had the idea for a new version of the existing three fin design which was later dubbed the "thruster". Anderson created a prototype for the "thruster" design and took it on tour with him to Hawaii and California. When he returned to Sydney, he made two more surfboards with similar designs. Using one of those surfboards, he again won the competition at the Bells Beach Classic in 1981 and "surfing history took its biggest turn since polyurethane foam" as the "thruster" design became the most popular fin design for surfboards over the next 30 years.
Anderson retired from professional surfboarding in the mid-1980s and never sought to benefit commercially by patenting his invention. Anderson said: "If I didn’t come up with it right then, there were a lot of other people at the time that were working toward that same end goal. I’m just fortunate, and happy to contribute." In November 2000, Anderson was awarded the Australian Sports Medal for services to surfboard design. In August 2010 Anderson was honored by US Blanks at the Sacred Craft Expo in San Diego California. In 2011, Anderson published his autobiography called Thrust: The Simon Anderson Story and was inducted into the Surfer's Hall of Fame.
Anderson won the masters session competition sponsored by the Mitchell Surfing Foundation.
- Koteen, Casey (10 August 2010). "Simon Anderson Talks Thruster". Retrieved 28 February 2011.
- Nick, Caroll Simon Anderson profile Surfline, retrieved Sept 16, 2012
- Author Unknown (19 July 2010) Simon Anderson Invented the Thruster 30 Years Ago Surfer Today, retrieved Sept 17, 2012
- Koteen, Casey (9 Aug 2012) Surf Science 30 and Counting Surf Transworld retrieved Sept 16 2012
- "Simon Anderson". Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. Retrieved 31 December 2012.
- (19 April 2011) Simon Anderson reveals the story behind the thruster Surfer Today, retrieved Sept 16, 2012
- Thrust: The Simon Anderson Story World Cat
- Simon Anderson joins roster of 2011 Surfers' Hall of Fame inductees Surfers Village, retrieved Sept 16 2012
- Author Unknown Give This Man A Dollar Surfa, retrieved Sept 16 2012
- Unknown Author (17 Oct. 2011) Base Surfboard Manufacturer Goes Under,TransWorld Business, retrieved Sept 19, 2012
- Unknown Author (17 June 2011) Three-Fin Simon Tells Story; Thruster Inventor Releases Biography, Tweed Daily News (Tweed Heads, Australia)
- simon anderson surfboards team