Simon Cairns, 6th Earl Cairns
Background and education
Cairns was Managing Director of S. G. Warburg & Co. between 1979 and 1985, of Mercury Securities plc between 1981 and 1984, Chairman of Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO) between 1981 and 1992, Vice-Chairman of Mercury Securities plc between 1984 and 1986, and a Director of S. G. Warburg & Co. between 1985 and 1995. He succeeded his father in the earldom on 21 March 1989. He was Receiver-General of the Duchy of Cornwall between 1990 and 2000. He was Chief Executive of S. G. Warburg & Co. between 1991 and 1995. He was invested as a Commander, Order of the British Empire (CBE) in 1992. He was Chairman of CDC Group plc from 1995. He was chairman of BAT plc between 1995 and 1998, and was Vice-Chairman of Zurich Allied AG and Zurich Financial Services between 1998 and 2000. He was Chairman of Allied Zurich between 1998 and 2000. Cairns was invested as a Commander of the Royal Victorian Order (C.V.O.) in 2000.
He was appointed Chairman of the African telecommunications company Celtel in October 2007 and was a board member of the charity The Mo Ibrahim Foundation until 2016, alongside Mary Robinson and Kofi Annan.
Lord Cairns married Amanda Mary Heathcoat-Amory, daughter of Major Edward Fitzgerald Heathcoat-Amory and Sonia Myrtle Denison, on 4 February 1964. They have three sons:
- Hugh Sebastian Frederick Cairns, Viscount Garmoyle (born 26 Mar 1965).
- Hon. David Patrick Cairns (born 27 May 1967).
- Hon. Alistair Benedict Cairns (born 16 May 1969).
- Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003)
- Charles Mosley, Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition, volume 1, page 640
- Charles Mosley, Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition, volume 1, page 641.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-08-21. Retrieved 2010-07-07.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Earl Cairns
- Lord Cairns on The Peerage website
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
David Charles Cairns
| Earl Cairns