Collis at Chatham House in 2013
|British Ambassador to Saudi Arabia|
|Assumed office |
|Preceded by||Sir John Jenkins|
|British Ambassador to Iraq|
|Preceded by||Michael Aron|
|Succeeded by||Frank Baker|
|British Ambassador to Syria|
|Preceded by||John Jenkins|
|Succeeded by||Embassy closed|
|British Ambassador to Qatar|
|Preceded by||David MacLennan|
|Succeeded by||Roddy Drummond|
|Born||23 February 1956|
|Alma mater||Christ's College, Cambridge|
Simon Paul Collis, CMG (born 23 February 1956) is a British diplomat who is Ambassador to Saudi Arabia.
He joined Her Majesty's Diplomatic Service in 1978 and served his first posting as Second Secretary in Bahrain from 1981–1984. From 1984– 1986 he served as Middle East Spokesman in the News Department of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. In 1986 he temporarily served at the UK mission in New York. From 1987–1988 he was Head of India Section in the South Asia Department. From 1988-1990 he was Deputy Head of Mission in Tunis. From 1990-1991 he was in the Gulf War Emergency Unit. From 1991–1994 he served as First Secretary in New Delhi, India. From 1994–1996 he was Deputy Head of the Near East & North Africa Department. From 1996–1999 he was Deputy Head of Mission in Amman, Jordan. From 1999-2000 he was seconded to BP. From 2000–2004 he was Consul-General in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
He was Consul General in Basra between 2004 and 2005. He was British Ambassador to Qatar 2005–07, and British Ambassador to Syria 2007–2012. He left Syria in February 2012, after the British Government withdrew their staff there. He was British Ambassador to Iraq from 2012 until September 2014. He presented his credentials as British Ambassador to Saudi Arabia on 3 February 2015.
Collis was appointed Companion of the Order of St Michael and St George (CMG) in the 2014 Birthday Honours for services to British interests in Iraq and Syria.
- Iraq Business News retrieved 3 July 2012
- Change of Her Majesty’s Ambassador to Iraq, Foreign and Commonwealth Office, 1 Sep 2014
- Vice Foreign Minister Receives a Number of Ambassadors, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia - Ministry of Foreign Affairs, 3 February 2015
- "No. 60895". The London Gazette (Supplement). 14 June 2014. p. b4.
- Simon Collis becomes first UK ambassador to perform Haj, Gulf News, September 13, 2016
- "Our Ambassador". Iraq: British Embassy, Baghdad. Retrieved 12 February 2013.
- "Our Ambassador - Career History". Iraq: British Embassy, Baghdad. Retrieved 12 February 2013.
| British Ambassador to Qatar
| British Ambassador to Syria
| British Ambassador to Iraq
Sir John Jenkins
| British Ambassador to Saudi Arabia