|First appearance||Simon Dark #1 (October, 2007)|
|Created by||Steve Niles
|Abilities||Impervious to Bullets and Amputation, Super-strength, Intelligence, Arcane knowledge|
While ostensibly set in the same city as Batman the comic focused exclusively on Simon Dark and his narrative with no cross-overs and only a few casual comments to indicate they were active in the same city.
Fictional character biography
When he initially appears, Simon Dark has amnesia. He exhibits some super-human abilities such as enhanced speed and agility, as well as extraordinary strength. He acts as a protector of a neighborhood called "the Village" in Gotham City; for its part the neighborhood is happy for their odd protector's presence.
As the comic progresses it is revealed that Simon Dark was created from the bodies of 20 boys by a desperate medical genius who turned to a dark cult for assistance. Simon, and several other characters in the comic, were created using science and magic but only Simon was created with a purpose; to stop the dark cult that created him.
Eventually Simon transforms from a scared and confused creature with a childlike mentality into a powerful and confident supernatural being with a laundry list of vaguely defined occult superpowers, many of which are only used once. He is resistant to damage (bullets hurt but don't seem to seriously impair him), extremely strong, can read minds, pasts and futures by touching people and can change his appearance (or at least his face) to hide his scarred face. He can cast magical rituals that allow him to see far away places and the future, and transport himself and other people to other dimensions. Once, he uses a magical rock like a floating high speed weapon, slamming through enemies like a bullet under his mental direction. He also has three shapechanging servants he calls his 'familiars', who he liberates from the evil cult; they are physically very powerful.
Apparently, he can also bring dead people back to life by sacrificing some of the 20 souls that constitute him.
He also becomes the magical overseer of Gotham (confusingly called The Mayor), who controls the flow of supernatural creatures into the city.
The series was collected into trade paperbacks:
- What Simon Does (collects Simon Dark #1-6, 144 pages, August 2008, ISBN 1-4012-1849-0)
- Ashes (collects Simon Dark #7-12, 144 pages, February 2009, ISBN 1-4012-2170-X)
- The Game of Life (collects Simon Dark #13-18, 144 pages, December 2009, ISBN 1-4012-2504-7)
- DC Comics profile for issue #1
- Steve Niles (w), Scott Hampton (a). "What Simon Does" Simon Dark 1: 3-9 (December, 2007), DC Comics
- Steve Niles (w), Scott Hampton (a). "What Simon Does" Simon Dark 1: 12/5-6 (December, 2007), DC Comics
- "Comics - October '07". DC Comics. 2007. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- Simon Dark #12
- What Simon Does details at DC
- Ashes details at DC
- The Game of Life details at DC