Simon Davies (lawyer)
|Born||1967 (age 49–50)|
|Education||University of Cambridge|
Simon Davies (born 1967) is a British lawyer and businessman. He was appointed as the youngest ever Firmwide Managing Partner at Linklaters in 2008. In 2016, he will be moving to Lloyds Banking Group to become the Chief People, Legal and Strategy Officer and a member of the Group's Executive Committee.
Davies joined Linklaters as a trainee in their London office in 1990 and became partner in 1999. He spent 12 years in Asia, specialising in M&A and securities advice serving terms in each of Hong Kong and Tokyo. Davies was Managing Partner for Asia from 2003 to 2007. He was then appointed as Firmwide Managing Partner in February 2007 and took up the role in January 2008. At the age of 39, he was the youngest ever person to hold this position. In this role, he chairs the Executive Committee and is a member of the firm's Partnership Board.
Davies is recognised for launching the Linklaters Law and Business School in 2007, which delivers integrated business and technical skills training. He is also credited for a marked improvement in the number of top-tier rankings across the firm's practice areas and strong financial performance under his leadership. Davies has overseen a growth in the firm's geographic coverage particularly in Asia and Africa, and the development of its contentious and regulatory capabilities. Davies has led also efforts to reposition Linklaters as a more progressive and diverse business, with the firm launching a global diversity action plan during his tenure as Firmwide Managing Partner. This has included introducing the target to have at least 30% females on the firm's Partnership Board and Executive Committee by 2018, and for at least 30% of all new partners to be women. In recognition of its diversity efforts, Linklaters was the first organisation in the UK to be awarded the UK National Equality Standard.
Davies is a member of TheCityUK / CBBC China Market Advisory Group, and is closely involved with fostering relations between China and the UK. In 2013, Davies received from the Chinese Ambassador to the UK a fellowship of the 48 Group Club, an independent business network committed to promoting positive China-UK relations.
Qualifications and Education
Davies was educated at Cambridge University, where he studied Law. Davies is a Solicitor of the High Court of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, a member of The Dai-Ichi Tokyo Bar Association and a Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales.
- "Simon Davies, Lloyds Banking Group PLC: Profile & Biography".
- "Top man at Linklaters quits to join Lloyds - The Times".
- "The Legal 500 > Linklaters LLP > London EC2Y, ENGLAND > Lawyer profiles > Simon Davies".
- "MOVES-Lloyds appoints Linklaters boss Simon Davies to new role". 1 July 2015 – via Reuters.
- Moore, Tom. "Linklaters' Davies to step down early as managing partner to join Lloyds - www.legalbusiness.co.uk".
- Milne, Richard (20 March 2009). "View from the Top - Simon Davies, managing partner, Linklaters" – via Financial Times.
- "Simon Davies: Linklaters - The Lawyer - Legal News and Jobs - Advancing the business of law".
- "Lawyer of the week: Simon Davies-Business-Law-TimesOnline". 21 February 2007. Archived from the original on February 21, 2007.
- "Ex-Asia head beats odds to land top job at Linklaters - The Lawyer - Legal News and Jobs - Advancing the business of law".
- "Linklaters - Client Focus".
- "The Legal 500 > Linklaters LLP > London EC2Y, ENGLAND > What we say".
- "Linklaters' turnover hits £1.255bn, PEP up 5.9% to £1.39m - The Lawyer - Legal News and Jobs - Advancing the business of law".
- "Legal Week - Linklaters secures alliance deal with South Africa's Webber Wentzel".
- "Legal Week - Thinking ahead: Linklaters' Simon Davies begins looking at strategy for 2030".
- Grapevine, Recruitment. "Linklaters appoints Global HRD".
- "Legal Week - Linklaters' Simon Davies on the importance of mentors".
- "Linklaters becomes the first organisation to be certified successfully against the UK National Equality Standard".
- "Linklaters receives first ever NES accreditation".
- "Li's UK visit marks commitment to bilateral ties-Business-chinadaily.com.cn".
- "China Market Advisory Group - TheCityUK".
- "48 Group Club Awards Ceremony 2013".
- "Board of Trustees".
- http://www.thelawyer.com/simon-davies-linklaters/129554.article "Simon Davies: Linklaters". The Lawyer. 22 October 2007. Retrieved 22 October 2010.