Després with the Penguins in 2014.
July 27, 1991 |
Laval, Quebec, Canada
|Height||6 ft 4 in (193 cm)|
|Weight||218 lb (99 kg; 15 st 8 lb)|
|NHL Draft||30th overall, 2009
Simon Després (born July 27, 1991) is a Canadian professional ice hockey defenceman currently playing for the Anaheim Ducks of the National Hockey League (NHL). He was drafted in the first round, 30th overall, in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft by the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Després began his major junior ice hockey career with the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL)'s Saint John Sea Dogs, who acquired Després with the first overall selection at the 2007 QMJHL Entry Draft. He scored his first QMJHL goal on September 23, 2007, against the Lewiston Maineiacs. After two seasons of play, Després was rated as the top professional prospect in the QMJHL by several scouting bureaus and media outlets in anticipation of the 2009 NHL Entry Draft (June 26–27 in Montreal). On June 26, 2009, he was drafted 30th overall in the NHL Entry Draft by the League's recently crowned Stanley Cup champions, the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Remaining with Saint John for the 2009–10 season, Després appeared in 63 games, scoring nine goals and 47 points, as the Sea Dogs had a League-best 109 points. He helped the Sea Dogs reach the President's Cup finals, though Saint John lost to the Moncton Wildcats in six games. In 21 playoff games, he had two goals and 19 points.
In 2010–11, Després was limited to 47 games, but increased his goal scoring output to 13 goals, on his way to recording 41 points and winning the Emile Bouchard Trophy as the QMJHL's best defenceman. After helping Team Canada win silver in 2011 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships, Després and the Sea Dogs capped off their season by winning the President's Cup on their way to a Memorial Cup championship victory.
Després played his first career NHL game on December 1, 2011, with the Penguins against the Washington Capitals. He earned his first NHL point on an assist on Chris Kunitz's goal; he also posted a +2 plus-minus rating on the night. Després' scored his first career NHL goal on December 17, 2011, against Ryan Miller of the Buffalo Sabres.
Després made his Stanley Cup playoff debut on April 18, 2012, against the Philadelphia Flyers, logging 11:22 of ice time and finishing with a +2 plus-minus rating. On the night, Després became the first-ever Saint John Sea Dogs alumnus to play in a Stanley Cup playoff game. One day after Pittsburgh was eliminated from the 2012 playoffs by the Flyers, he was reassigned to the team's American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate, the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, on April 23 to participate in their run in the 2012 Calder Cup playoffs.
On March 2, 2015, Després was traded to the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for defenceman Ben Lovejoy. Després scored his first career Stanley Cup playoff goal on May 22 against Corey Crawford of the Chicago Blackhawks in the 2015 Western Conference Finals. The goal, the eventual game-winner in a 2–1 Ducks victory, was assisted by teammates Ryan Getzlaf and Cam Fowler.
Regular season and playoffs
|2007–08||Saint John Sea Dogs||QMJHL||64||1||13||14||30||14||0||4||4||18|
|2008–09||Saint John Sea Dogs||QMJHL||66||2||30||32||74||4||0||4||4||2|
|2009–10||Saint John Sea Dogs||QMJHL||63||9||38||47||87||21||2||17||19||18|
|2010–11||Saint John Sea Dogs||QMJHL||47||13||28||41||54||19||4||8||12||16|
|2015–16||San Diego Gulls||AHL||4||1||1||2||6||—||—||—||—||—|
|World Junior Championships|
- "Simon Després Named To Canadian National Under-18 Team". OurSportsCentral.com. 2008-10-02. Retrieved 2012-03-04.
- "Penguins cut 14". Post-Gazette. 2009-09-29. Retrieved 2009-09-29.
- "Simon Despres impresses in NHL debut as Penguins stymie Capitals". bleacherreport.com. 2011-12-01. Retrieved 2011-12-02.
- Simon Després’ Performance on World Stage Has Penguins Hopeful - The Hockey Writers |
- "Penguins too strong for Sabres". National Hockey League. 2011-12-16. Retrieved 2011-12-16.
- "Ducks acquire Despres from Pittsburgh in exchange for Lovejoy". Anaheim Ducks. 2015-03-02. Retrieved 2015-03-02.
- Rourke, Shawn (May 22, 2015). "Despres steps up with game-winning goal for Ducks". NHL.com. Retrieved May 22, 2015.
- "Hockey Canada Selection Camp: Team Profile". Hockey Canada. 2011-05-06. Retrieved 2011-05-06.
- Simon Després career statistics at EliteProspects.com
- Simon Després's career statistics at The Internet Hockey Database
|Awards and achievements|
|Pittsburgh Penguins first round draft pick