|Born||20 May 1969|
|Known for||Twitter investor|
|Net worth||£140 million|
Businesses and investments
Dolan's first major business was SJD Accountancy, which was among the first accounting firms to offer a money back guarantee. It is the only accounting firm in the UK top 100 owned by an individual rather than a partnership. SJD Accountancy was acquired in 2014 along with accounting practice Nixon Williams by Sovereign Capital for over £100m .
Dolan began investing in new start-up companies via Twitter in 2010, initially offering a £5 million investment pot for successful business pitches on the social networking site, earning himself the nickname "Twitter Dragon". Dolan's investments via Twitter have included Global Moguls, and mental health magazine Uncovered.
Motor racing career
Dolan's interest in motor racing began in March 2007 before creating his own racing team, Jota Sport, in 2008. In 2010 Jota Sport signed a multi-year agreement to become an Aston Martin official partner team in motorsports. Jota initially competed in an Aston Martin V8 Vantage at the 2010 24 Hours of Spa where the team won their class. Dolan and co-driver Sam Hancock participated in the VdeV series with a best finish of third at Circuit Paul Ricard. Dolan made his debut at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 2011.
Dolan's career highlight was 1st place in the LMP2 class at Le Mans in 2014 with Harry Tincknell and Oliver Turvey replacing Marc Gene after he was recalled to Team Joest Audi Sport LMP1 team following an accident in practice for Loic Duval.
24 Hours of Le Mans results
|2011||Jota|| Sam Hancock
|Aston Martin V8 Vantage GT2||GTE
|2012||Jota|| Sam Hancock
|2013||Jota Sport|| Oliver Turvey
|2014||Jota Sport|| Oliver Turvey
|2015||Jota Sport|| Oliver Turvey
How To Make Millions Without A Degree: And How to Get by Even If You Have One is Simon Dolan's autobiography. It tells the story of how he built his £70 million empire after leaving school at 15. In the book, Dolan offers advice to business owners and those considering starting their own business instead of going to University.
- "The Rich List 2015", The Sunday Times Magazine, 26 April 2015, p. 76.
- "Simon Dolan GT2 European Cup Driver Bio".
- "Simon Dolan The Twitter Investor".
- Keeping it simple, Best Practice Magazine, December 2007
- Kaffash, Jaimie (31 August 2011). "Simon says reform the partnership model". Accountancy Age. Retrieved 7 September 2011.
- Reed, Kevin (22 September 2014). "£100m private equity deal creates new accounting group". Accountancy Age.
- "Investors use Twitter to inject cash=this is money.co.uk". 5 July 2010.
- Hurley, James (14 June 2010). "Successful business pitches via twitter get 800k investment". The Daily Telegraph (London).
- "Uncovered magazine investment". 15 April 2011.
- "Jota Sport Sign Aston Martin Deal". 8 June 2010.[dead link]
- "Team Jota win Spa 24 Hours in GT4". 2 August 2010.
- "Le Mans 24 Hours: Marc Gene to replace Duval in #1 Audi". crash.net. Retrieved 11 November 2014.
- "The Upstart – 'How to make millions without a degree' review".
- "Daily Express – Make millions even after dropping out of school".
- "The Wright Stuff – Q & A session with business men and women".
- Dolan, Simon (18 August 2011). "The Telegraph – You don't need a degree to get ahead". The Daily Telegraph (London).