||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification, as it includes attribution to IMDb. (September 2010)|
|Born||Simon Alan Gregory
October 2, 1974
Wythenshawe, Manchester, England
|Education||The Kingsway School, Gatley|
|Television||Coronation Street (1989-present)|
|Spouse(s)||Emma Richards (m. 2010)|
Simon Alan Gregory (born 2 October 1974) is an English actor known for his portrayal of Steve McDonald in the ITV soap opera Coronation Street since 1989. He won Best Comedy Performance at the 2014 British Soap Awards.
Whilst a pupil at The Kingsway School, Gatley in 1989, Simon Gregory entered a search for the part of one of two new cast members to join the ITV soap opera Coronation Street as the 'McDonald Twins'. Fellow Kingsway pupil Nicholas Cochrane was selected out of the class to become Andy McDonald, and a search was on for another class member who had the same height, build and hair colouring as him. As Gregory was the only member of the class to fit these criteria, he was selected and the two were sent for further auditions at Granada Television, where they were selected for the roles. Gregory was initially credited under his real name, but later adopted the stage name 'Gregson' once he was old enough to join Equity, as there was already a member with the name Simon Gregory.
Gregson's first appearance in an episode of Coronation Street aired on 6 December 1989 and he currently appears on the soap as a regular cast member.
On 20 August 2011, he appeared onAll Star Family Fortunes along with his family
He appeared as a panellist on an episode of Through the Keyhole which aired on 5 October 2013.
||This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (October 2013)|
- 2005 - British Soap Award for Best Actor
- 2009 - TRIC Award for TV Soap Personality
- 2009 - British Soap Award for Best Actor
- 2009 - British Soap Award for Best Comedy Performance
- 2009 - British Soap Award for Best On-screen Partnership
- 2010 - TRIC Award for TV Soap Personality
- 2010 - British Soap Award for Best On-screen Partnership
- 2010 - TV Quick Award for Best Soap Actor
- 2010 - National Television Award for Most Popular Serial Drama Performance
- 2011 - British Soap Award for Best On-screen Partnership
- 2011 - TV Quick Award for Best Soap Actor
In the 1990s, Gregson became known in the press for various traffic offences and problems with alcohol and drugs. He was written out of the series for over a year after The Sun ran a story in which Gregson allegedly admitted regularly spending £1,000 per month on cocaine. He returned to his Coronation Street role after rehabilitation.
Gregson has been married to longtime partner Emma Gleave since 2010. They have two sons, Alfie (b. 31 August 2007 - 7 lb 3oz) and Harry (b.12 July 2009). Gregson recently revealed that he and his wife are expecting their third child.
- Corrie star Simon Gregson marries Emma Gleave. mirror.co.uk. Retrieved on 2012-02-07.
- Corrie's Simon Gregson gets married – Coronation Street News – Soaps. Digital Spy (14 November 2010). Retrieved on 2012-02-07.
- Simon Gregson Welcomes Son Harry