|Minister for the Economy|
25 May 2016 – 26 January 2017
|Preceded by||Jonathan Bell|
|Member of the Legislative Assembly|
Assumed office |
7 March 2007
|Preceded by||George Ennis|
|Minister of Health, Social Services and Public Safety|
11 May 2015 – 6 May 2016
|Preceded by||Jim Wells|
|Succeeded by||Michelle O'Neill|
|Minister of Finance and Personnel|
29 July 2013 – 11 May 2015
|Preceded by||Sammy Wilson|
|Succeeded by||Arlene Foster|
17 March 1977|
Newtownards, Northern Ireland
|Nationality||Northern Irish/ British|
|Political party||Democratic Unionist Party|
|Residence||Comber, Northern Ireland|
|Alma mater||Queen's University Belfast|
Simon Hamilton MLA (born 17 March 1977) is a Democratic Unionist Party politician in Northern Ireland, who served as the Economy Minister in the Northern Ireland Executive from 2016 until its collapse in January 2017. He was first elected in 2007 to the Northern Ireland Assembly as a Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) member for Strangford.
Hamilton was educated at Regent House School and Queen's University, Belfast holding degrees in history/politics and law. He served as Chairman of the Queen's Unionist Association and as a member of Queen's University Senate.
Hamilton began his career as an auditor with an accountancy firm in Belfast and was employed as a DUP Policy Officer in their Party Headquarters from 2003 until his election to the Northern Ireland Assembly in 2007. He was elected to Ards Borough Council in 2005 but did not stand at the 2011 Election. Hamilton is secretary of Strangford DUP Association and vice-chairman of Newtownards DUP Branch.
He was later appointed as the Health Minister of Northern Ireland in a further DUP reshuffle on 11 May 2015. He resigned from this post several times during September and October 2015 in the context of a political crisis at Stormont.
- "Mr Simon Hamilton". Northern Ireland Assembly. Retrieved 17 January 2016.
- "Simon Hamilton resigns four times in past three weeks". BBC News. Retrieved 2015-10-24.
- "Hamilton appointed as Northern Ireland's Minister for Finance". Irish Times. 30 July 2013. Retrieved 14 September 2013.
- "Simon Hamilton appointed new finance minister". BBC News. 29 July 2013. Retrieved 14 September 2013.
- "DUP reshuffle: Foster, Bell and Hamilton in new jobs". BBC News. Retrieved 24 October 2015.
- "DUP reshuffle: Foster, Bell and Hamilton in new jobs". BBC News. 11 May 2015.
- "Simon Hamilton resigns four times in past three weeks". BBC News. 2 October 2015. Retrieved 17 January 2016.
|Northern Ireland Assembly|
| MLA for Strangford
| Minister of Finance and Personnel
| Minister of Health, Social Services and Public Safety
2015 – 2016
as Minister of Health
| Minister for the Economy
2016 – 2017
|This article about a member of the Northern Ireland Assembly (since 1998) is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|