Simon Jones (musician)
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (November 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Birth name||Simon Robin David Jones|
29 July 1972 |
|Genres||Alternative rock, Britpop, psychedelic rock, shoegaze|
|Instruments||Bass, keyboards, vocals, guitar|
|Associated acts||The Verve, The Shining, Cathy Davey, Black Submarine|
|Fender Jazz Bass|
Away from the musical side of The Verve, Jones is the only other band member other than the band's main mouthpiece, lead singer Richard Ashcroft, who tends to speak publicly and in interviews. Most notably, he, along with Ashcroft, made a speech at the 2007 Q Awards as they won a classic album award for their 1997 album Urban Hymns. He thanked the band member's wives and children and also thanked former Verve guitarist Simon Tong, who was not included in the newly reformed Verve line up. He also did an interview on Zane Lowe's BBC Radio 1 show after the band's 2007 reformation, and he also appeared alone and alongside Ashcroft in a handful of Verve documentaries and other miscellaneous interviews throughout the 1990s.
When The Verve split in 1999 due to in-band tensions, many believed they were down to tensions between singer Richard Ashcroft and lead guitarist Nick McCabe. While this is true, there were in fact problems, described as 'serious' by Ashcroft in later interviews, between Ashcroft and Jones also.
In June 2007, he rejoined The Verve in their reunion but by 2009 they had disbanded again.
Other musical projects
After the breakup of The Verve in 1999, Jones later played bass and wrote songs for the short lived band The Shining, who former Verve band mate Simon Tong also played with. They would release just one album in 2002 called True Skies.
Since 2004, Jones has been an official member of the backing band for Cathy Davey.
In November 2005, he performed with the Gorillaz live band playing guitar at the Manchester Opera House, as part of the Manchester International Festival, again alongside fellow Verve member Simon Tong.
-  Archived 16 January 2012 at the Wayback Machine.
- "The Verve - Is This The End? | News". Nme.Com. 15 June 1998. Retrieved 2013-03-19.
- "Shining through - ex-Verve star Simon Jones - Manchester Evening News". Menmedia.co.uk. 17 February 2007. Retrieved 2013-03-19.
- "Howie Day New Studio Album Produced by Youth (The Verve, Crowded House,... - re> NEW YORK, 14 Aug. /PRNewswire/". Prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2013-03-19.
- "Celebs toast Gorillaz success - Manchester Evening News". Menmedia.co.uk. 2 November 2005. Retrieved 2013-03-19.