Simon Majumdar (born in April 7, 1964) is a British-born food and travel author, and food television personality. He has appeared on many Food Network shows and is based in Los Angeles and London. He also judges tables on shows such as Iron Chef.
Early and personal life
Majumdar was brought up in Rotherham near Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England by his Welsh mother and Indian father, a middle child out of four children. His father Pratip "Pat" Majumdar was born in Kolkata and was an Orthopedic consultant for Rotherham United F.C.. His mother, Gwen John, was from Southern Wales and worked as a nurse; his parents met while working at the Royal Gwent Hospital in the 1950s.
Majumdar previously worked as a book publisher and started working with food after the age of 40. After his mother fell ill and eventually died, he was depressed and not enjoying his prior career in publishing so he decided in 2007 to "go everywhere, eat everything" which changed his life path.
He co-authored with his older brother Robin, the highly rated and most read UK food blog "Dos Hermanos" from 2006 until 2012, they had thousands of readers a day. Majumdar is an author and contributor to; The Guardian, The Independent, The Daily Mail, AskMen.com, The Daily Beast, and more. He has written books titled Fed, White, and Blue; Eat My Globe; and Eating For Britain.
He has appeared as a judge on the Food Network shows Cutthroat Kitchen (2013–2016), Iron Chef America (2010–2012), All Star Academy (2015), Beat Bobby Flay (2014–2017) and The Next Iron Chef (2010–2012). Majumdar is severely allergic to coffee and oysters; consequently, neither of these ingredients are used in any competition judged by him. He is known for a love of Indian cuisine.
- "Simon Majumdar". Rotherham United, Millers Abroad. 2016-06-07. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- "Simon Majumdar". Simon & Schuster. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
He and his computer-whiz brother write the award-winning blog www.doshermanos.co.uk, which has earned him thousands of readers a day
- Majumdar, Simon (2009). Eat My Globe: One Year to Go Everywhere and Eat Everything. New York, NY: Simon and Schuster. pp. 5–7. ISBN 1416576266.
- Apple, Charity (2015-05-06). "Have food, will travel: Food expert, TV star Simon Majumdar brings book tour to Saxapahaw". The Times. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- "Interview with Simon Majumdar". 6 October 2009.
- "Celebrity chef Simon Majumdar to cook special dinner at Larkin's on the River". The Greenville News. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- "Simon Majumdar, Food Network Judge and Author". KTLA-5 News. 2017-08-16. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- Shapiro, Amy (2016-01-09). "Chewing his way through the country". The Jerusalem Post. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- "Simon Majumdar". Cooking Channel. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
co-author of Dos Hermanos, one of the most popular food websites in the U.K. and internationally.
- Majumdar, Simon (7 April 2015). Fed, White, and Blue: Finding America with My Fork. Penguin Publishing Group. pp. 13–14. ISBN 978-0-698-18645-3.
Majumdar, Simon (30 July 2018). "A Taste of the Philippines With Simon Majumdar". Saute. Orange County, California. Retrieved 5 July 2019.
- Majumdar, Simon. "What I learned about America by eating my way around the country". Washington Post. Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- "Simon Majumdar". the Guardian. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
Simon Majumdar is the co-writer of Dos Hermanos, one of the UK's most widely read food blogs.
- "Blog god: Simon Majumdar". delicious. magazine. 2009. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
I started the blog in 2006 and my older brother Robin began posting actively about four months later.
- "By Simon Majumdar". The Independent. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- "Simon Majumdar". AskMen. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- "Author Simon Majumdar". The Daily Beast. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- "Books". Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- "Simon Majumdar Bio". Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- Panichkul, Victor. "Food Network star Simon Majumdar making Salem visit". Statesman Journal. Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- Simon Majumdar. "Which dishes do we excel at in Britain and why do we get so many things wrong?". the Guardian.
- "What's Coffee Cake Without Coffee? —Alton's After-Show - FN Dish – Food Network Blog". FN Dish – Food Network Blog.
- "Chef Simon Majumdar". The Best Thing I Ever Ate. Retrieved 2017-11-14.