Simon Patterson (artist)
|Born||1967 (age 48–49)
Leatherhead, Surrey, England
|Education||Hertfordshire College and Goldsmiths|
|Notable work||The Great Bear|
Simon Patterson (born 1967) is an English artist and was born in Leatherhead, Surrey. He was shortlisted for the Turner Prize in 1996 for his exhibitions at the Lisson Gallery, the Gandy Gallery, and three shows in Japan. He is the younger brother of the painter Richard Patterson.
Life and career
Patterson attended Hertfordshire College of Art and Design and Goldsmiths College between 1985 and 1989. At Goldsmiths he was included in the Freeze Exhibition organized by Damien Hirst, showing two wall text pieces, one simply showing the names Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor, the other, The Last Supper Arranged According to the Flat Back Four Formation (Jesus Christ in Goal) showing the names of the Apostles arranged as different football team systems with Jesus in goal.
He is perhaps best known for his work The Great Bear from 1992, an editioned print which reworks the London Underground map. Patterson is taking an order system that exists within the world and applies it to another set of subjects. In this case he switched the names from the stations with names from famous people. Each Line is a different group of people, like actors, philosophers, footballers etc. An edition was purchased by Charles Saatchi and shown in the Sensation exhibition of 1997 which toured London, Berlin and New York. An edition is in the Tate Gallery collection and is currently on display at Tate Britain in London.
Patterson has also created large scale projects such as Cosmic Wallpaper at the University of Warwick, a Wilfred Owen tribute (Maison Forestière) , and he also participated in the MoMA's "The Project Series, 70, Banners I". The projects goal for each Simon, Shirin Neshat and Xu Bing was to test the ramifications of the written word in their own unique perspective to be display at the Museum’s Fifty-third Street facade flanked by banners bearing MoMA’s logo from 22 November 1999 - 1 May 2000.
- "Cartographers" Galerjie Grada Zagreba, Zagreb. Touring to Centre for Contemporary Art  (1997), Warsaw
- "Exhibitions: Paper Democracy. Contemporary Art in Editions on Paper" Group Exhibition, Edifício Cultura Inglesa  (23 September - December 2004), São Paulo
- "Domini Canes. Hounds of God" Lowood Gallery and Kennels  (1 November 2000 – 31 January 2001), London
- "100 Artists see God" Independent Curators International (ICI), The Jewish Museum, San Francisco; Laguna Museum, Laguna California; ICA, London; Contemporary Art Center of Virginia, Virginia; Albright College Freedman Art Gallery, Reading, Pennsylvania; and Cheekwood Museum of Art, Nashville, Tennessee; Group Exhibition  (2004–2006), San Francisco.
- "This will not happen without you: from the collective archive of the Basement Group" Projects UK and Locus+ 1977-2006, John Hansard Gallery, Southampton, touring to the Hatton Gallery, Newcastle upon Tyne and Interface Gallery, Belfast  (2006), Belfast.
- "Black-List" Solo Exhibition at Haunch of Venison Gallery  (19 January - 24 February 2007), London.
- "Long Distance Information" British Council Arts, National Gallery of Bengal Arts in Dhaka, Bangladesh (24 January - 15 February), PNCA in Islamabad, Pakistan (5 March – 11 April 2008) and the Museum of Fine Art, Almaty, Kazakhstan from 29 April - 13 May 2008  (24 January - 24 May 2008), London.
- "International Match" at Carinthian Museum of Modern Art (Museum Moderner Kunst Kärnten/MMKK)  (8 May - 29 June 2008), Klagenfurt.
- "Simon Patterson: the Undersea World and Other Stories" Solo Exhibition, The National Maritime Museum  (4 May - 26 October 2008), Greenwich.
- "Simon Patterson: In Orbit" Solo Exhibition, Roentgenwerke  (3 October - 3 November 2008), Tokyo.
- "Wilfred Owen : La Maison Forestière - Time Piece" Solo Exhibition  (26 April - 30 May 2008), Lille.
- "Print the Legend: the Myth of the West" Group Exhibition, The Fruitmarket Gallery  (1 March - 4 May 2008), Edinburgh.
- "BP Exhibition - Classified: Contemporary British Art" Tate Britain  (22 June - 23 August 2009), London.
- "Anthology" Solo Exhibition at Benrimon Contemporary Gallery  (6 November - 18 December 2010), New York City.
- "Under Cartel" Solo Exhibition at Haunch of Venison Gallery  (13 July - 31 August 2012), London.
- "Simon Patterson: 2010 Anthology". Benrimon Contemporary. Retrieved 26 February 2014.
- "Simon Patterson: Artist". Iniva. Retrieved 4 December 2010.
- "Work: The Great Bear 1992". Tate Online. Retrieved 4 December 2010.
- "Work: The Great Bear 1992". Tate Online. Retrieved 26 February 2014.
- "Work: Cosmic Wallpaper 2002". University of Warwick. Retrieved 2 August 2012.
- "Work: Wilfred Owen Tribute 2002". The Wilfred Owen Association. Retrieved 2 August 2012.
- "Work: Banners Project, Series 1 1999". MoMA Online. Retrieved 2 August 2012.
- "Slade School of Fine Art History". University College London. Retrieved 3 August 2012.
- Contemporary Art Society, Annual Report 2001/2002
- Contemporary Art Society, Annual Report 1999/2000
- Christie's, Auction Results for Simon Patterson
- Artnet, Biography and Selected Exhibitions
- Simon Patterson interviewed by Robert Dingle, 2009-10
- Tate, Intermedia Art - Le Match des Colors - Simon Patterson
- Artconnexion.org - La Maison Forestière Wilfred Owen - Simon Patterson
- The Oxford Times - A room of one's Owen - Simon Patterson
- Aajpress.wordpress.com - Simon Patterson: La Maison Forestière. Dedicated to the British poet Wilfred Owen, 2011
- La Maison Forestière by Simon Patterson
- Benrimon Contemporary - New York, USA
- Simon Patterson - Catalog for Anthology Exhibition, 2010
- Haunch of Venison - London, United Kingdom
- BBC News Magazine - Wilfred Owen: From humble cottage to dazzling tribute
- BBC Collective - Simon Patterson video interview
- Haunch of Venison - Simon Patterson video interview for Under Cartel Exhibition
- Eye on Europe - Publisher: Museum of Modern Art - ISBN 0870703714
- Paint Ten Rooms - Publisher: Locus and International Design Publishing - ISBN 0955482542
- Domini Canes: The Hounds of God - Publisher: Axis Projects - ISBN 0955482542
- Paper Democracy: Contemporary Art in Editions on Paper - Publisher: Associacao Cultura Inglesa de Sao Paulo - ISBN 8598735019
- Simon Patterson - Publisher: Locus+ - ISBN 1899377166
- Plantation Lane: Time and Tide - Publisher: RIBA Publishing - ISBN 1859461735
- Republicans - Publisher: Third Eye Centre - ISBN 0906474825
- High Noon - Publisher: Edinburgh - ISBN 0947912886
- Simon Patterson: Black-list - Publisher: Haunch of Venison, c2006 - ISBN 190562008X
- Rex Reason - Publisher: Book Works - ISBN 1870699130
- Offside! Contemporary Artists and Football - Publisher: Institute of International Visual Arts (INIVA) - ISBN 0901673501