Simon Phipps (programmer)
Phipps was instrumental in IBM's involvement in the Java programming language, founding IBM's Java Technology Center. He left IBM for Sun Microsystems in 2000, taking leadership of Sun's open source programme from Danese Cooper. Under Phipps, most of Sun's core software was released under open source licenses, including Solaris and Java.
Phipps was not hired into Oracle as part of the acquisition of Sun Microsystems and his final day was March 8, 2010 when the two entities combined. Following Sun, he spent a year as Chief Strategy Officer of identity startup ForgeRock before becoming an independent consultant. In 2015 he briefly joined Wipro Technologies as director of their open source advisory practice.
Phipps was President of the Open Source Initiative until 2015 when he stepped down in preparation for the end of his Board term in 2016, and was re-elected in 2017 and re-appointed President by the Board in September 2017. He is also currently a board member of the Open Rights Group and The Document Foundation and on the advisory board of Open Source for America. He has served on a number of advisory boards for other projects, including as CEO of the MariaDB Foundation, and at the GNOME Foundation, OpenSolaris, OpenJDK, and OpenSPARC.
- Ibm Java Evangelist Speaks Of Java Tsunami http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0CGN/is_n3418/ai_20635325/
- Sun exec takes control of open source projects http://www.infoworld.com/t/platforms/sun-exec-takes-control-open-source-projects-428
- The ripple effect of a GPL'd Java will reach far and wide http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=3937
- Phipps, Simon. "New role at Wipro". Wild Webmink. Retrieved 15 May 2015.
- OSI Board of Directors http://www.opensource.org/docs/board-annotated
- "OSI Board Meeting Report". 2013-05-11. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- Phipps, Simon. "Handing On The Baton". Open Source Initiative. Retrieved 15 May 2015.
- Randal, Allison. "Transitions in Leadership". Open Source Initiative. Retrieved 2 October 2017.
- Open Rights Group Board of Directors http://www.openrightsgroup.org/people/board#simon_phipps
- "Board". The Document Foundation. Retrieved 8 July 2016.
- Open Source for America Board of Advisors "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-02-09. Retrieved 2009-11-04.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Phipps, Simon (2013-04-18). "Taking MariaDB Foundation Forward". Webmink. Retrieved 2016-08-07.
- Vaughan-Nichols, Steven J. (2013-04-23). "Look out, Oracle: SkySQL and MariaDB join forces". ZDNet. Retrieved 2013-05-08.
- "Simon Phipps". Google+. Retrieved 8 December 2014.
- About the GNOME Foundation "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-09-08. Retrieved 2008-07-25.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Board Election 2009/Change Constitution "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-10-30. Retrieved 2009-11-04.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- OpenJDK Governance Board http://openjdk.java.net/groups/gb/
- OpenSPARC Community Advisory Board http://www.opensparc.net/community/governance.html
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Simon Phipps (programmer).|