Phipps was instrumental in IBM's involvement in the Java programming language, founding IBM's Java Technology Center. He left IBM for Sun Microsystems in 2000, taking leadership of Sun's open source programme from Danese Cooper. Under Phipps, most of Sun's core software was released under open source licenses, including Solaris and Java.
Phipps was not hired into Oracle as part of the acquisition of Sun Microsystems and his final day was March 8, 2010 when the two entities combined. Following Sun, he spent a year as Chief Strategy Officer of identity startup ForgeRock before becoming an independent consultant. In 2015 he briefly joined Wipro Technologies as director of their open source advisory practice.
Phipps was President of the Open Source Initiative until 2015 when he stepped down in preparation for the end of his Board term in 2016, and was re-elected in 2017 and re-appointed President by the Board in September 2017. He is also currently a board member of the Open Rights Group and The Document Foundation and on the advisory board of Open Source for America. He has served on a number of advisory boards for other projects, including as CEO of the MariaDB Foundation, and at the GNOME Foundation, OpenSolaris, OpenJDK, and OpenSPARC and most recently the AlmaLinux OS Foundation.
- Ibm Java Evangelist Speaks Of Java Tsunami http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0CGN/is_n3418/ai_20635325/
- Sun exec takes control of open source projects http://www.infoworld.com/t/platforms/sun-exec-takes-control-open-source-projects-428
- The ripple effect of a GPL'd Java will reach far and wide http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=3937 Archived 2008-06-12 at the Wayback Machine
- "Simon Phipps joins open identity startup ForgeRock - the H Open: News and Features". Archived from the original on 2013-12-08.
- Phipps, Simon (2 March 2015). "New role at Wipro". Wild Webmink. Retrieved 15 May 2015.
- OSI Board of Directors http://www.opensource.org/docs/board-annotated Archived 2010-12-22 at the Wayback Machine
- "OSI Board Meeting Report". 2013-05-11. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- Phipps, Simon. "Handing On The Baton". Open Source Initiative. Archived from the original on 21 November 2015. Retrieved 15 May 2015.
- Randal, Allison. "Transitions in Leadership". Open Source Initiative. Archived from the original on 1 October 2017. Retrieved 2 October 2017.
- Open Rights Group Board of Directors http://www.openrightsgroup.org/people/board#simon_phipps
- "Board". The Document Foundation. Retrieved 8 July 2016.
- Open Source for America Board of Advisors "OSFA - Board of Advisors". Archived from the original on 2010-02-09. Retrieved 2009-11-04.
- Phipps, Simon (2013-04-18). "Taking MariaDB Foundation Forward". Webmink. Retrieved 2016-08-07.
- Vaughan-Nichols, Steven J. (2013-04-23). "Look out, Oracle: SkySQL and MariaDB join forces". ZDNet. Retrieved 2013-05-08.
- "Simon Phipps". Google+. Retrieved 8 December 2014.
- About the GNOME Foundation "About the GNOME Foundation". Archived from the original on 2011-09-08. Retrieved 2008-07-25.
- Board Election 2009/Change Constitution "Poll.opensolaris.org: Community Election Management". Archived from the original on 2009-10-30. Retrieved 2009-11-04.
- OpenJDK Governance Board http://openjdk.java.net/groups/gb/
- OpenSPARC Community Advisory Board http://www.opensparc.net/community/governance.html
- "We strive to be transparent. | AlmaLinux Wiki". wiki.almalinux.org. Retrieved 2021-06-25.
- "FLOSS Weekly episodes with Simon Phipps". Retrieved 2021-02-07.