Simon T. Bailey
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Simon Theophilus Bailey (born August 26, 1968) is an American speaker, author, life coach and entrepreneur. Bailey is the author of Shift Your Brilliance: Harness the Power of You, INC and Release Your Brilliance: The 4 Steps to Transforming Your Life and Revealing Your Genius to the World. Bailey was inducted into the National Speakers Association's CPAE Speaker Hall of Fame in 2015.
Bailey has a master's degree from Faith Christian University in Orlando, FL and a bachelor's degree from Life Christian University in Tampa, FL. He is a graduate of Rollins College Executive Management Certificate Program.
Bailey began his career in hospitality. He worked as the Sales Director of the Disney Institute for the Walt Disney Company. In 2003, Bailey founded Brilliance Institute, Inc. In 2010, Bailey served as the Vice President of University Relations for Oral Roberts University. Bailey is currently the CEO of Simon T. Bailey International.
In 2014, Bailey became a contributing writer for The Business Journals (a part of American City Business Journals family), where he writes a weekly article. Bailey has also been a guest writer for online publications including as Business Insider, Entrepreneur (magazine) and Success.com. Bailey was the first African American Sales Director at Disney.
Bailey grew up in Buffalo, NY. He attended Catholic school until high school. He went to McKinley High School, a trade school in Buffalo, for 9th grade. After failing many of his classes and not making the football, basketball or track & field teams, Bailey transferred to Bennett High School. At Bennett, he thrived. He found his passion for public speaking and became Senior Class President.
Bailey started college at Morehouse College in Atlanta, GA. After a year he could no longer afford to attend. He got a job in a hotel and started his career in hospitality. Ten years later, Bailey obtained an undergraduate degree.
Bailey has spoken at a variety of businesses, events and conferences. Bailey keynoted the RIMS 2015 conference, alongside Arianna Huffington and Erik Wahl. Bailey's also been asked to speak for large companies such as IBM and Toyota. T. D. Jakes invited Bailey to present as MegaFest. The Women's Foodservice Forum hosted Bailey at 4 events in Los Angeles, CA, Atlanta, GA, Chicago, IL and Minneapolis, MN.
In 2014, Bailey spoke with the National Association of Secondary School Principals and National School Board Association to help educators, parents and students "recognize and embrace their own brilliance". Bailey was announced as a featured speaker at Microsoft's Worldwide Partner Conference in July 2014. Furthermore, Bailey completed an 8 city tour, the Be Collaborative Tour, with Omni Hotels & Resorts. In 2016, Bailey spoke at the ANCC National Magnet Conference.
Works & philosophy
Bailey's works are often centered on motiving readers to becoming brilliant. He says that brilliance is released when you're in an environment where you are celebrated, not tolerated. He encourages readers to stop comparing themselves to others.
Release Your Brilliance focuses on the 4 C's: Clarity: understanding your reason and purpose; Cut: understanding how to frame past experiences; Color: how do I think about what I want to do and how to I get there; Carat: the size of your dream Mark Victor Hansen has been quoted as saying, "Whether you see, hear, or read him, you will enjoy Simon's message, and will inspire you to be, do and have all that you desire. Simon is an original voice that stimulates you to know that you are brilliant and have unlimited potential."
Bailey asks three questions of his audience to get them to start to reach their full potential:
- What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
- What would you do if no one paid you to do it?
- What makes you come alive?
Bailey encourages companies to invest in their employees. He says companies should invest in Personal Brilliance; Leadership Brilliance; Team Brilliance; and Service Brilliance. Personal Brilliance is about bringing your best self to work every day. Leadership Brilliance is about finding ways to bring out the best in people. Team Brilliance is letting the individuals thrive together. Service Brilliance is about turning customer service into customer love.
Bailey's released The Shift Your Brilliance System, a curriculum to help individuals and corporations find ways to add value to both their work & personal lives. Bailey's encourages individuals to own their careers through micro learning, strategic planning & reinvention.
- Simon Says Dream: Live a Passionate Life (Simon Says, 1) (2003)
- Success is an Inside Job (2007)
- Brilliant Service is the Bottom Line (2007)
- Release Your Brilliance: The 4 Steps to Transforming Your Life and Revealing Your Genius to the World (2007) Published by HarperCollins ISBN 0061451878
- Meditate on Your Personal Brilliance: 52 Affirmations To Reignite Your Life (2013)
- Meditate on Your Professional Brilliance: 52 Affirmations to Shine at Work (2013)
- Simon Says...Dream: Live a Passionate Life! (2013)
- Shift Your Brilliance: Harness the Power of You, INC. (2014) Published by SoundWisdom Publishing ISBN 0768404576
- Releasing Leadership Brilliance: Breaking Sound Barriers in Education (2017) Published by SAGE Publications ISBN 9781506346960
- Brilliant Living: 31 Insights to Creating an Awesome Life (2017) Published by Sound Wisdom
Awards and honors
- 2009 Top 25 "Who's Hot" by Speaker Magazine
- 2010 Meeting and Conventions Magazine Favorite Speakers
- 2013 Editor’s Picks for Favorite Speakers of 2013 by Meetingsnet.com
- 2014 MDRT Annual Meeting Featured Speaker
- 2014 SHSMD Connections Featured Speaker
- 2015 Ten Most Booked Speakers
- 2015 National Speakers Association, CPAE Speaker Hall of Fame
- "Excellence : For Oral Roberts University Alumni and Friends". Webapps.oru.edu. Retrieved 2013-09-30.[dead link]
- "CPAE Speaker Hall of Fame". nsaspeaker.org. 2015. Archived from the original on 2015-08-11. Retrieved 2015-08-23.
- "Simon (Bailey) says, 'Imagine the future' - Orlando Business Journal". Bizjournals.com. 2003-09-15. Retrieved 2013-09-20.
- "Trendsetters". Florida Trend. Retrieved 2013-09-20.
- "Simon T. Bailey, Contributing Writer". The Business Journals. Retrieved 2014-03-30.
- "13 Things I Wish I'd Known Before I Graduated College". Business Insider. 2014-05-21. Retrieved 2014-07-12.
- "4 Magical Keys to Business From My Stint at Disney World". Entrepreneur Magazine. 2014-05-05. Retrieved 2014-07-12.
- "3 Ways to Build Your Executive Presence". Success.com. 2014-09-09. Retrieved 2014-10-19.
- "Fits Him to a "T"". FloridaTrend.com. 2002-02-01. Retrieved 2015-08-23.
- "LIVING BY DESIGN Episode 10 March 23rd, Simon T. Bailey, Bestselling Author". Living By Design Show. 2014-03-21. Retrieved 2014-04-05.
- "Keynote Speakers". RIMS 2015. 2015. Retrieved 2015-08-23.
- "IBM Content 2015". ibm.com. 2015. Retrieved 2015-08-23.
- "SHIFTING OPPORTUNITIES INTO HIGH GEAR". toyotaopportunityexchange.com. 2015. Retrieved 2015-08-23.
- "Speakers". mega-fest.org. 2015. Archived from the original on 2015-07-22. Retrieved 2015-08-23.
- "Leadership Development Workshops". womensfoodserviceforum.com. 2015. Archived from the original on 2015-08-20. Retrieved 2015-08-23.
- Buckley, Eileen (2014-03-22). "Buffalo Schools Invite Motivtational Speaker to Kick Off Pathways of Success". WBFO. Retrieved 2014-03-30.
- Pasciak, Mary (2014-03-22). "A Different Pamela Brown Emerges in Listening Tour". Buffalo News. Retrieved 2014-03-30.
- "Session Catalog". Digital WPC. 2014. Retrieved 2014-10-19.[not in citation given]
- "OMNI HOTELS & RESORTS LAUNCHES FOURTH ANNUAL BE COLLABORATIVE SERIES". Omni Hotels. 2014-08-11. Retrieved 2014-10-19.
- ANCCMagnetConference (2016-11-30), Simon T. Bailey Highlights, retrieved 2017-01-07
- "Release Your Brilliance with Simon T. Bailey". YouTube. 2013-08-15. Retrieved 2013-09-20.
- "Shift Your Brilliance ® System". simonbailey.com. Retrieved 2013-09-20.
- "How to Own Your Career". linkedin.com. Retrieved 2015-09-13.
- "Speaker Who's Hot" (PDF). Gitomer.com. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-10-02. Retrieved 2013-09-30.
- Edelstein, Loren G. (2010-07-01). "Planners' Favorite Speakers: Meetings & Conventions". Meetings-conventions.com. Retrieved 2013-09-20.
- Scofidio, Barbara (2013-07-18). "Photo Gallery: Editors' Picks: Favorite Speakers of 2013". Meetings Net. Retrieved 2013-09-20.
- "Main Platform". imdrt.org. 2014. Retrieved 2014-10-19.
- "General Sessions". SHSMD.com. 2014. Archived from the original on 2014-10-16. Retrieved 2014-10-19.
- "The Annual List: 10 Most "Booked" Corporate and Association Speakers". thespeakerexperts.com. 2015. Retrieved 2015-08-23.