|Born||13 May 1952|
|Alma mater||University of Sheffield (BSc, MSc, PhD)|
|Thesis||Some results for Markow processes with application to genetic models.|
|Notable students||Rebecca Doerge|
Simon Tavaré  is the founding Director of the Herbert and Florence Irving Institute of Cancer Dynamics at Columbia University. Prior to joining Columbia, he was Director of the Cancer Research UK Cambridge Institute, Professor of Cancer Research at the Department of Oncology and Professor in the Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics (DAMTP) at the University of Cambridge.(born 1952)
Research and career
Tavaré is a computational biologist and statistician, with his research focusing on three main areas: statistical methods for the analysis of next‑generation sequencing data, evolutionary approaches to cancer and methods for the analysis of genomics data.
Tavaré's research has been funded by Cancer Research UK, the Royal Society, the European Union, Horizon 2020, the Wellcome Trust, the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC), the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC), the Medical Research Council (MRC) and the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
Awards and honours
Tavare was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS) in 2011 and a Fellow of the Academy of Medical Sciences (FMedSci) in 2009. He held a Royal Society Wolfson Research Merit Award from 2003 to 2009. In 2018, Tavare was elected a Fellow of the American Mathematical Society and a Foreign Associate of the National Academy of Sciences. In 2020 he was elected an Honorary Fellow of Christ's College, Cambridge, the College of which he had been a Fellow while a professor at Cambridge between 2004 and 2019.
- Anon (2017). "TAVARÉ, Prof. Simon". Who's Who. ukwhoswho.com (online Oxford University Press ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. doi:10.1093/ww/9780199540884.013.10000189. (subscription or UK public library membership required) (subscription required)
- Anon (2003). "Professor Simon Tavare FMedSci Research Fellow". royalsociety.org.
- Simon Tavaré publications indexed by Google Scholar
- Herbert and Florence Irving Institute of Cancer Dynamics
- Tavaré, Simon (2017). "Professor Simon Tavaré FRS, FMedSci". University of Cambridge. Archived from the original on 25 March 2016.
- Tavare, Simon (1979). Some results for Markow processes with application to genetic models. ethos.bl.uk (PhD thesis). University of Sheffield. OCLC 500576479. EThOS uk.bl.ethos.474608.
- "Tavaré Group". Cancer Research UK Cambridge Institute. Retrieved 6 December 2018.
- Anon (2011). "Professor Simon Tavaré FMedSci FRS". London: royalsociety.org. Archived from the original on 25 April 2017. One or more of the preceding sentences incorporates text from the royalsociety.org website where:
"All text published under the heading 'Biography' on Fellow profile pages is available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License." --"Royal Society Terms, conditions and policies". Archived from the original on 11 November 2016. Retrieved 9 March 2016.CS1 maint: bot: original URL status unknown (link)
- Anon (2016). "UK Government research grants awarded to Simon Tavare". rcuk.ac.uk. Swindon: Research Councils UK. Archived from the original on 19 March 2016.
- Tavaré, Simon (2017). "Funding in the Tavare laboratory". University of Cambridge.
- Anon (2009). "Professor Simon Tavaré FRS FMedSci". acmedsci.ac.uk.
- 2018 Class of the Fellows of the AMS, American Mathematical Society, retrieved 3 November 2017
- "News From the National Academy of Sciences".
|This article relating to the University of Cambridge is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This bioinformatics-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|