|Born||13 May 1952|
|Alma mater||University of Sheffield (BSc, MSc, PhD)|
|Thesis||Some results for Markow processes with application to genetic models.|
|Notable students||Rebecca Doerge|
Simon Tavaré FRS FMedSci (born 1952), is the founding Director of the Herbert and Florence Irving Institute of Cancer Dynamics at Columbia University. Prior to joining Columbia, he was Director of the Cancer Research UK Cambridge Institute, Professor of Cancer Research at the Department of Oncology and Professor in the Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics (DAMTP) at the University of Cambridge.
Research and career
Tavaré is a computational biologist and statistician, with his research focusing on three main areas: statistical methods for the analysis of next‑generation sequencing data, evolutionary approaches to cancer and methods for the analysis of genomics data.
Tavaré's research has been funded by Cancer Research UK, the Royal Society, the European Union, Horizon 2020, the Wellcome Trust, the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC), the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC), the Medical Research Council (MRC) and the National Institutes of Health (NIH). His former doctoral students include Thomas Hardcastle, Ioanna Manolopoulou, Vincent Plagnol, Andrea Sottoriva, and Douglas Speed.
Awards and honours
Tavare was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS) in 2011 and a Fellow of the Academy of Medical Sciences (FMedSci) in 2009. He held a Royal Society Wolfson Research Merit Award from 2003 to 2009. In 2018, Tavare was elected a Fellow of the American Mathematical Society and a Foreign Associate of the National Academy of Sciences.
- Anon (2017). TAVARÉ, Prof. Simon. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who (online Oxford University Press ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. doi:10.1093/ww/9780199540884.013.10000189. (subscription required)
- Anon (2003). "Professor Simon Tavare FMedSci Research Fellow". royalsociety.org.
- Simon Tavaré publications indexed by Google Scholar
- Herbert and Florence Irving Institute of Cancer Dynamics
- Tavaré, Simon (2017). "Professor Simon Tavaré FRS, FMedSci". University of Cambridge. Archived from the original on 2016-03-25.
- Tavare, Simon (1979). Some results for Markow processes with application to genetic models. ethos.bl.uk (PhD thesis). University of Sheffield. OCLC 500576479. EThOS uk.bl.ethos.474608.
- "Tavaré Group". Cancer Research UK Cambridge Institute. Retrieved 2018-12-06.
- Anon (2011). "Professor Simon Tavaré FMedSci FRS". London: royalsociety.org. Archived from the original on 2017-04-25. One or more of the preceding sentences incorporates text from the royalsociety.org website where:
"All text published under the heading 'Biography' on Fellow profile pages is available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License." --"Royal Society Terms, conditions and policies". Archived from the original on 2016-11-11. Retrieved 2016-03-09.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- Anon (2016). "UK Government research grants awarded to Simon Tavare". rcuk.ac.uk. Swindon: Research Councils UK. Archived from the original on 2016-03-19.
- Tavaré, Simon (2017). "Funding in the Tavare laboratory". University of Cambridge.
- Tavare, Simon (2014). "Former Research Students". University of Cambridge. Archived from the original on 2014-10-18.
- Hardcastle, Thomas James (2009). Model-driven analysis of high-throughput genomic data in late-stage ovarian cancer. ethos.bl.uk (PhD thesis). University of Cambridge. OCLC 885434395. EThOS uk.bl.ethos.603681.
- Manolopoulou, Ioanna (2009). A Bayesian approach to Nested Clade Analysis. ethos.bl.uk (PhD thesis). University of Cambridge. OCLC 890153184. EThOS uk.bl.ethos.611441.
- Plagnol, Vincent (2006). Ancestral inference from molecular and paleontological data (PhD thesis). proquest.com. OCLC 77081866.
- Marjoram, P.; Molitor, J.; Plagnol, V.; Tavare, S. (2003). "Markov chain Monte Carlo without likelihoods". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 100 (26): 15324–15328. doi:10.1073/pnas.0306899100. ISSN 0027-8424. PMC 307566.
- Sottoriva, Andrea (2012). Spatial cell ancestral inference: determining in vivo cancer dynamics from patient molecular data. ethos.bl.uk (PhD thesis). University of Cambridge. OCLC 890152577. EThOS uk.bl.ethos.610899.
- Speed, Douglas Christopher (2011). Exploring nonlinear regression methods, with application to association studies. ethos.bl.uk (PhD thesis). University of Cambridge. OCLC 784565992.
- Anon (2009). "Professor Simon Tavaré FRS FMedSci". acmedsci.ac.uk.
- 2018 Class of the Fellows of the AMS, American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2017-11-03
- "News From the National Academy of Sciences".
|This article relating to the University of Cambridge is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This bioinformatics-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|