This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (June 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|World Cup Final|
|2010 Edinburgh||Mixed team|
Simon Duncan Terry was born on 27 March 1974 in Stirling, the son of Mike and Janice Terry. With the help of his father, Terry first began practising archery when he was eight years old. At the age of nine he won his first competition. At the time of the 1992 Summer Olympics, Terry was an unemployed roofer.
After 13 years of retirement from archery, Terry began shooting again, and achieved high placings in major international events including the team gold at the World Cup 2007, stage two, in Varese, and an individual fourth place at the World Outdoor Championships in Leipzig, Germany being beaten by his team mate Alan Wills in a thrilling tie break where he scored a nine, and Wills took the bronze with a 10. Another one of his successes was at the fourth stage of the 2007 World Cup in Dover, England, when he was victorious against the young Mexican archer, Juan René Serrano. Serrano scored an eight in the tie and Terry scored a nine.
2008 Summer Olympics
At the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing Terry finished his ranking round with a total of 670 points, nine points behind leader Juan René Serrano. This gave him the seventh seed for the final competition bracket in which he faced Matti Hatava in the first round. Hatava was only the 58th seed, but managed to beat Terry with 105–104. Together with Wills and Larry Godfrey he also took part in the team event. With his 670 score from the ranking round combined with the 661 of Wills and the 657 of Godfrey the British were in fifth position after the ranking round. In the first elimination round they faced the Chinese team and got eliminated with 214–210. The Chinese went on to win the bronze medal.
2012 Summer Olympics
- "Simon Terry Bio, Stats, and Results". Sports Reference. Retrieved 4 December 2013.
- "Archer's income halted". New Straits Times. 13 August 1992. Retrieved 4 December 2013.
- Spencer, Ben. "Olympics hero: Social security stopped my dole while I was at the Games". Scottish Daily Record. Retrieved 4 December 2013.
- "Simon Terry". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 4 December 2013.
- "Simon Terry Bio, Stats and Results". www.sports-reference.com. Sports Reference. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
- "Men's Team Archery Beijing 2008". www.olympic.org. IOC. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
- "Men's Individual Archery London 2012". www.olympic.org. IOC. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
- "Men's Team Archery London 2012". www.olympic.org. IOC. Retrieved 21 August 2014.