Simon Thompson (businessman)
|Born||16 June 1959|
|Education||Manchester Grammar School|
|Alma mater||University College, Oxford|
Simon Thompson (born 16 June 1959) is a British investment banker and business executive. He is the former chairman of Tarmac Group and Tullow Oil. He serves as the chairman of 3i, a private equity and venture capital firm.
Simon Thompson was born on 16 June 1959 in Bramhall, U.K.. He was educated at the Manchester Grammar School. He graduated from University College, Oxford, where he earned a bachelor's degree in geology in 1985.
Thompson worked for Lloyds Bank from 1981 to 1985, N M Rothschild & Sons from 1985 to 1994, and S. G. Warburg & Co. from 1994 to 1995. He joined Minorco S.A., a mining company, in 1995, first as its head of finance until 1997, and as the head of its Brazilian subsidiary until 1999, when it merged with Anglo American plc. He subsequently worked for Anglo American, serving as the chief executive officer of its Anglo Base Metals Division from 2001 to 2007.
Thompson served on the boards of directors of the Newmont Mining Corporation from 2008 to 2014. He also served on the board of Amec Foster Wheeler from 2009 to 2015, and Sandvik AB from 2014 2015. He serves as a non-executive director of the Rio Tinto Group.
- Thompson, Simon (2010). Unjustifiable Risk? The Story of British Climbing. Milnthorpe, Cumbria, U.K.: Cicerone Press. ISBN 9781849656993. OCLC 893659566.
- Thompson, Simon (2013). A Long Walk with Lord Conway: An Exploration of the Alps and an English Adventurer. Oxford, U.K.: Signal Books. ISBN 9781908493804. OCLC 871584256.
- "THOMPSON, Simon Robert". Who's Who 2017. Oxford University Press. Retrieved July 19, 2017.
- "Newmont Mining Corp (NEM:New York): Simon R. Thompson MA (Oxon)". Bloomberg. Retrieved July 19, 2017.
- Cotterill, Joseph (April 13, 2015). "3i appoints Simon Thompson as chairman". Financial Times. Retrieved July 19, 2017.
- Wallace, Tim (April 14, 2015). "Montague quits as 3i chair to focus on Aviva". City A.M. Retrieved July 19, 2017.
- "Board of directors: Simon Thompson". Rio Tinto. Retrieved July 19, 2017.
|This English biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|