This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
17 October 1898|
23 March 1971 (aged 72)|
|Genre||Historical novel, Psychological novel|
|Notable works||Back to Ina Damman, Anton Wachter Cycle [8 novels; 1934-1960], The Garden Where the Brass Band Played, De kellner en de levenden|
|Notable awards||Constantijn Huygens Prize (1955)|
Born in the small Frisian town of Harlingen, Vestdijk studied medicine in Amsterdam, but turned to literature after a few years as a doctor. He became one of the most important 20th-century writers in the Netherlands. His prolificness as a novelist was legendary, but he was at least as important as an essayist on e.g., literature, religion, art, and music in particular. He also wrote much poetry and short stories. His work has been translated into most Western European languages.
Bibliography (books in English)
- Simon Vestdijk: On the poet Emily Dickinson. Transl. by Peter Twydell. Doorn, Mycenta Vitilis, 2002. ISBN 90-75663-37-4 (Orig. publ. in 1933)
- Simon Vestdijk: Back to Ina Damman = Retour à Ina Damman / radio-play adaptation of the novel by Simon Vestdijk ; adaptation: Marc Lohmann. (Transl. of an adaptation of Terug tot Ina Damman. Hilversum, Nederlandse Omroep Stichting, 1988. No ISBN
- S. Vestdijk: The garden where the brass band played. Transl. by A. Brotherton, with an introd. by Hella S. Haasse. London, Quartet Books, 1992. ISBN 0-7043-0173-3. Other editions: New York, New Amsterdam, 1989. ISBN 0-941533-59-X; Leyden/London/New York, 1965. No ISBN
- Emily Dickinson: Gedichten. Transl. by S. Vestdijk. Den Haag, Bert Bakker, 1969.
- Emily Dickinson: Selected poems. (Chosen by Simon Vestdijk). Amsterdam, Balkema, 1940 (=1944)
- Simon Vestdijk: Rum Island, Transl. by B.K. Bowes. London, John Calder, 1963
- Simon Vestdijk : My brown friend & Miodrag Bulatović : Lovers & Keith Johnstone: The return & Robert Pinget: La manivelle. The old tune (English adapt. by Samuel Beckett). London, Calder, 1962
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Simon Vestdijk.|