Simon Williams (chess player)
Williams at the London Chess Classic 2016.
|Full name||Simon Kim Williams|
|Born||30 November 1979|
|FIDE rating||2464 (August 2020)|
|Peak rating||2550 (November 2009)|
In 1993, he received his first international FIDE rating of 2255, and won the British Junior Squad Under-12 Championships, and in 1995, finished 16th in the European Under-14 Championship. After finishing equal first with Karl Mah in the Smith and Williamson Young Masters, he received the International Master title in 1998, later in the year playing on the top board for England in U16 Chess Olympiad. In 1999, he finished 7th in European U18 Championship.
He became a Grandmaster in 2008, achieving the final norm at the Hastings International Chess Congress 2005/2006 and the 2500+ rating at Hastings 2007/2008. His peak rating so far is 2550, achieved in November 2009. In 2009, he organised the Big Slick International in Purley, London, which comprised an invitational GM tournament and FIDE Rated Open.
In 2003, he finished second at the British Chess Championship, and equal second in 2009.
In 2009, Williams finished equal first at the Southend Chess Congress all-play-all tournament.
Blitz and rapidplay
In 2005, he won the British Blitz Championship.
Williams works as a chess commentator at tournaments and through online streaming. Most notably, he has provided official commentary at the Gibraltar Chess Festival alongside Irina Krush, Elisabeth Pähtz in 2016 and Jovanka Houska in 2017 and 2018. He has covered a number of other tournaments for ChessBase and Chess.com. Williams also maintains a YouTube channel where he uploads blitz chess games with commentary as well as analysis of his previous games. He has also given commentary on the chess.com Isle of Man tournament.
Chess publication company
- Williams, Simon (2003). Play The Classical Dutch. Gambit Publications. ISBN 978-1-901983-88-3.
- Williams, Simon (2004). Improve Your Attacking Chess. Gambit Publications. ISBN 978-1-904600-09-1.
- Williams, Simon (2008). How To Crush Your Chess Opponents. Gambit Publications. ISBN 978-1-904600-99-2.
- Williams, Simon (2009). The New Sicilian Dragon. Everyman Chess. ISBN 978-1-85744-615-9.
- Williams, Simon (2010). How To Win At Chess - Quickly!. Everyman Chess. ISBN 978-1-85744-631-9.
- Palliser, Richard; Williams, Simon; Vigus, James (2010). Dangerous Weapons: The Dutch. Everyman Chess. ISBN 978-1-85744-624-1.CS1 maint: uses authors parameter (link)
- Williams, Simon (2011). Attacking Chess: The French: A Dynamic Repertoire for Black. Everyman Chess. ISBN 978-1857446463.
- Williams, Simon (2011). SOS – Secrets of Opening Surprises 13 – Chapter 3 – The Williams Anti-Grunfeld Variation. New in Chess. ISBN 978-90-5691-341-0.
- Williams, Simon (2011). SOS – Secrets of Opening Surprises 14 – Chapter 4 – Kings Gambit: Tartakower Variation. New In Chess. ISBN 978-90-5691-366-3.
- Williams, Simon (2013). Killer Dutch - The Book. GingerGM and EPlus Books. ISBN 978-1-927179-15-4.
- Williams, Simon (2015). The Killer Dutch. Everyman Chess. ISBN 9781781942420.
- Williams, Simon (2009). The Killer Dutch (DVD). United Kingdom: GingerGM.
- Williams, Simon (2010). The Killer French Volume 1 (DVD). United Kingdom: GingerGM.
- Williams, Simon (2010). The Killer French Volume 2 (DVD). United Kingdom: GingerGM.
- Williams, Simon (2011). The Killer Dragon Volume 1 (DVD). United Kingdom: GingerGM.
- Williams, Simon (2011). The Killer Dragon Volume 2 (DVD). United Kingdom: GingerGM.
- Williams, Simon (2012). Play Like Tal (DVD). United Kingdom: GingerGM.
- Williams, Simon (2012). Crash Test Chess Volume 1 Using The Initiative (DVD). United Kingdom: GingerGM.
- Williams, Simon (2012). Crash Test Chess Volume 2 Thinking Outside The Box (DVD). United Kingdom: GingerGM.
- Williams, Simon (2014). King's Gambit Volume 1 and 2 (DVD). Hamburg: Chessbase.
- Williams, Simon (2017). The London System with 2.Bf4 (DVD). Hamburg: Chessbase.
- "Hastings 2007/08 – a Grandmaster is Born". ChessBase. 5 January 2008. Retrieved 18 November 2010.
- GingerGM - Simon Williams' Website
- Simon Williams rating card at FIDE
- Simon Kim Williams chess games (2003-) at 365Chess.com
- Simon Williams chess games (1993-2003) at 365Chess.com
- Simon Williams player profile and games at Chessgames.com
- Simon Williams player profile at Chess.com
- Simon Williams' YouTube channel.
|This biographical article relating to an English chess figure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|