Simon Wright (politician)
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (May 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Member of Parliament |
for Norwich South
6 May 2010 – 7 May 2015
|Preceded by||Charles Clarke|
|Succeeded by||Clive Lewis|
|Born||15 September 1979|
|Political party||Liberal Democrats|
|Alma mater||Imperial College London|
King's College London
Simon James Wright (born 15 September 1979) is a British Liberal Democrat politician, who was elected at the 2010 general election as the Member of Parliament (MP) for Norwich South, defeating frontbench incumbent Charles Clarke (Lab), winning 29.7% of the votes and a majority of 310.
Wright has worked as a teacher of mathematics at Alderman Peel High School in Wells-next-the-Sea in North Norfolk and was elected as a councillor for the Lancaster North ward (Fakenham) on North Norfolk District Council in 2003. Wright achieved the second highest percentage of the vote of three seats available in the poll behind Cllr Nich Starling (LD).
In 2005, Wright oversaw Norman Lamb's General Election victory in North Norfolk increasing the majority from 483 votes to 10,606.
Wright stepped down as campaigns officer in 2007 to devote himself full-time to being his party's prospective parliamentary candidate for Norwich South.
Wright's first parliamentary appointment saw him appointed to the Environmental Audit Select Committee in July 2010.
He lost his seat in the 2015 general election, when he came fourth in his former constituency.
- "Simon Wright MP". BBC Democracy Live. BBC. Retrieved 25 July 2010.
- "List of Members Returned to Serve in Parliament at the General Election 2010". The London Gazette. 10 May 2010. Retrieved 31 March 2017.
- "Election 2010: Norwich South". BBC News. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- "Overall District Wards Summary" (PDF). North-norfolk.gov.uk. Retrieved 2015-05-17.
- "Norwich MP to sit on Environmental Audit Committee (Simon Wright for Norwich South)". Simonwright.org.uk. 2010-07-13. Retrieved 2015-05-17.
- Simon Wright MP official constituency website
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 2010–present
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
- Profile at Westminster Parliamentary Record
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament for Norwich South