Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits|
|Greatest hits album by Simon & Garfunkel|
|Released||June 14, 1972|
|Recorded||March 1964 – November 1969|
|Producer||Paul Simon, Art Garfunkel, Roy Halee|
|Simon & Garfunkel chronology|
The album is currently available on CD under Legacy's Playlist banner.
|This section does not cite any sources. (November 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The album was a mix of original studio recordings and four previously unreleased live recordings. The album's minimalist packaging does not specifically date the latter; however, the live versions of "For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her" and "Kathy's Song" included on Greatest Hits were also included on the 2008 album Live 1969. The liner notes to Live 1969 state that these two songs were both recorded at a November 1969 concert in St. Louis, Missouri. According to the liner notes from Collected Works, however, the version of "Kathy's Song" was taken from a 1968 concert in Vermont.
In a 1975 BBC Radio 1 interview, Roy Halee identified this version of "The 59th Street Bridge Song" as being from Simon & Garfunkel's 1970 performance at Carnegie Hall, "the last concert they did together" (prior to their disbanding later in 1970). A live version of "Homeward Bound" was also included on the album.
The remaining ten studio songs comprise nine singles released between 1965 and 1972, "America" being issued as a single several years after its appearance as a track on the Bookends album, and one album track, "Bookends" (without its parent song "Old Friends").
All the singles included, except "America," "El Condor Pasa (If I Could)," and "Scarborough Fair/Canticle" made the Top Ten, with the last peaking at #11, and "Mrs. Robinson" topped the chart aided by its appearance in Mike Nichols' hit movie The Graduate. "The Sound of Silence" and "Bridge over Troubled Water" both peaked at #1 as singles in their studio versions, and "The Boxer" peaked as a single at #7.
|Rolling Stone||(favorable) |
Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits peaked on the U.S. albums chart at #5. On the UK Album Chart, it was a #2 hit. The album has proven a long and durable seller, currently being certified for 14 million units sold in the U.S. alone. It is easily their best-selling album in the U.S., and holds the record in the U.S. for the best-selling album by a duo.
All songs composed by Paul Simon unless otherwise noted.
- "Mrs. Robinson" (some pressings use the single mix with an early fade-out at 3:51; later pressings revert to the Bookends album version at 4:02) – 3:51 or 4:02
- "For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her" (Live with applause cross-fade into the studio version of "The Boxer") – 2:25
- "The Boxer" – 5:10
- "The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)" (Live with applause cross-fade into the studio version of "The Sound of Silence") – 1:50
- "The Sound of Silence" (Acoustic version with electric overdubs) – 3:05
- "I Am a Rock" – 2:52
- "Scarborough Fair/Canticle" (Traditional; arranged by Simon, Art Garfunkel) – 3:09
- "Homeward Bound" (Live with applause cross-fade into the studio version of "Bridge Over Troubled Water") – 2:42
- "Bridge over Troubled Water" – 4:52
- "America" – 3:33
- "Kathy's Song" (Live) – 3:23
- "El Condor Pasa (If I Could)" (Daniel Alomía Robles; English lyrics by Simon, arranged by Jorge Milchberg) – 3:07
- "Bookends" (same track as "Bookends Themes" from the Bookends LP; although cross-faded from "Old Friends" on the Bookends LP, exists on this album as a stand-alone track) – 1:20
- "Cecilia" – 2:53
Charts and certifications
Voor de 3de keer Alle 13 goed! by Various artists
|Dutch Chart number-one album
August 19 - September 23, 1972
Close to the Edge by Yes
- Allmusic Review
- Rolling Stone Review
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, NSW: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "ultratop.be Simon & Garfunkel - Greatest Hits" (ASP). Hung Medien (in Dutch). Ultratop. Retrieved 2014-01-10.
- "Top Albums/CDs - Volume 18, No. 4, September 09 1972". RPM. Retrieved 2014-01-10.
- "dutchcharts.nl Simon & Garfunkel - Greatest Hits" (ASP). Hung Medien. MegaCharts. Retrieved 2014-01-10.
- "Album Search: Simon & Garfunkel - Greatest Hits" (in German). Media Control. Retrieved 2014-01-10.
- Oricon Album Chart Book: Complete Edition 1970-2005. Roppongi, Tokyo: Oricon Entertainment. 2006. ISBN 4-87131-077-9.
- "charts.org.nz Simon & Garfunkel - Greatest Hits" (ASP). Hung Medien. Recording Industry Association of New Zealand. Retrieved 2014-01-10.
- "norwegiancharts.com Simon & Garfunkel - Greatest Hits" (ASP). Retrieved 2014-01-10.
- Salaverri, Fernando (September 2005). Sólo éxitos: año a año, 1959–2002 (1st ed.). Spain: Fundación Autor-SGAE. ISBN 84-8048-639-2.
- "Swedish Charts 1969–1972 / Kvällstoppen – Listresultaten vecka för vecka > Augusti 1972 > 15 Augusti" (PDF) (in Swedish). hitsallertijden.nl. Retrieved 2014-04-29. Note: Kvällstoppen combined sales for albums and singles in the one chart. Greatest Hits peaked at the number-four on the hit parade, next to two singles — "Sister Jane" by New World and "Beautiful Sunday" by Daniel Boone.
- "Simon & Garfunkel > Artists > Official Charts". UK Albums Chart. Retrieved 2014-01-10.
- "allmusic ((( Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits > Charts & Awards > Billboard Albums )))". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2014-01-11.
- "Dutch charts jaaroverzichten 1972" (ASP) (in Dutch). Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- "The Official UK Charts Company : ALBUM CHART HISTORY". 2007-12-17. Archived from the original on 2007-12-17. Retrieved 2014-04-19.
- "Canadian album certifications – Simon and Garfunkel – Greatest Hits". Music Canada.
- "Simon & Garfunkel" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland. Retrieved 2013-08-28.
- "French album certifications – Simon & Garfunkel – Greatest Hits" (in French). InfoDisc. Select SIMON & GARFUNKEL and click OK
- "Italian album certifications – Simon & Garfunkel – Greatest Hits" (in Italian). Federazione Industria Musicale Italiana. Select Album e Compilation in the field Sezione. Enter Simon & Garfunkel in the field Filtra. Select 2014 in the field Anno. The certification will load automatically
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Simon & Garfunkel; 'Greatest Hits')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.
- "Gold Disc Award 1979". IFPI. Retrieved 2012-08-17.
- "Gold Disc Award Criteria". IFPI. 2007. Archived from the original on 2007-10-15. Retrieved 2012-08-17.
- "The Official Swiss Charts and Music Community: Awards (Simon & Garfunkel; 'Greatest Hits')". IFPI Switzerland. Hung Medien.
- "British album certifications – Simon & Garfunkel – Greatest Hits". British Phonographic Industry. Enter Greatest Hits in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select album in the field By Format. Select Platinum in the field By Award. Click Search
- "American album certifications – Simon & Garfunkel – Greatest Hits". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH