Simon the Sorcerer II: The Lion, the Wizard and the Wardrobe
|Simon the Sorcerer II: The Lion, the Wizard and the Wardrobe|
|Series||Simon the Sorcerer|
Simon the Sorcerer II: The Lion, the Wizard and the Wardrobe (more commonly just Simon the Sorcerer II) is an adventure game created by Adventure Soft released in 1995. It is the second in the Simon the Sorcerer series of games.
The Evil wizard Sordid is brought back to life when a magic-book of his is set ablaze and thrown into the middle of a chalkboard pentagram by the father of Runt, a young boy wanting to become a mighty sorcerer. Sordid promises him that he can become his apprentice if he helps him exact his vengeance on Simon.
Several months later, Sordid's Fortress of Doom is reconstructed and Sordid has a new robotic body. He sends a magical wardrobe to fetch Simon but it accidentally ends up on the doorstep of Calypso, the wizard Simon had to save in the last game. Simon then starts to look for a fuel called mucusade which he needs to power the wardrobe in order to get home.
The PC sequel was released in a large black box and, like the original, the copy-protected floppy disk version required the manual to be able to play the game. Unlike the disk version, the CD-ROM was not copy-protected, its colour manual fit in the front of the jewel case and also included the full "talkie" soundtrack. For this second installment in the series, Brian Bowles became the voice of Simon, making him sound much older, presumably in his late-teens.
The Amiga version was originally scheduled for release alongside the PC version in 1995, but was cancelled, possibly because of the decline of the Amiga market. The rights for the Amiga release were eventually secured by Epic Interactive Entertainment (now RuneSoft) in 1999, who released it on CD in July 2000 in a DVD-style case.
Recently the game has been re-released for the iPhone and is available via the App Store. This is the talkie version and contains two different control versions, either an original mouse pointer or by simply tapping the screen to select objects and commands.
- "Simon the Sorcerer II: The Lion, The Wizard and The Wardrobe - PC". Game Rankings. Retrieved 19 November 2013.
- "Simon the Sorcerer 2 review from Datormagazin Vol 1995 No 13 (Oct 1995) - Amiga Magazine Rack" (13). October 1995: 60, 61. Retrieved 19 November 2013.
- "Simon the Sorcerer 2 review from Amiga Active 17 (Feb 2001) - Amiga Magazine Rack" (17). February 2001: 53–55. Retrieved 19 November 2013.
- Simon the Sorcerer II at RuneSoft at the Wayback Machine (archived April 1, 2012)
- Simon the Sorcerer II: The Lion, the Wizard and the Wardrobe at MobyGames
- Simon the Sorcerer II PC CD-ROM "Full Talkie" demo hosted at bgbennyboy's site, Quick and Easy Software[dead link]