Simon van Slingelandt
Simon van Slingelandt was the son of Govert van Slingelandt, lord of Dubbeldam (1623-1690), pensionary of Rotterdam and ambassador to Prussia, Sweden, Poland (1656) and Denmark (1659). He was also the secretary of the Council of State in 1664 
Before becoming grand pensionary Van Slingelandt wrote several reports as preparation for the second Great Assembly (Dutch Tweede Grote Vergadering, a kind of Constitutional Convention to reform the constitution of the Dutch Republic, 28 November 1716 – 14 September 1717), in which he proposed to give the Council of State ("Raad van State") more power. He was convinced of the necessity to restrict the power of the cities and the provinces in order to strengthen the central power of the republic. The Great Assembly however ended in failure when nothing came from Van Slingelandts proposed reforms.
He was powerful in the United Provinces, being the grand pensionary of Holland, which contributed sixty percent of the tax income of the republic. Van Slingelandt was a staunch republican, who wanted to keep the House of Orange out of the centre of power. He was a strong advocate of an alliance with Great Britain; otherwise, he thought, the United Provinces wouldn't survive. He mediated peace between Great Britain and Austria in 1732 and between France and Austria in 1736.
- Patijnenburg, a manor at Naaldwijk
- http://www.herenvanholland.nl/eigenaar.cfm?eigenaarnummer=1323[permanent dead link] www.herenvanholland.nl
- http://www.herenvanholland.nl/eigenaar.cfm?eigenaarnummer=1319 www.herenvanholland.nl
- Maria Brouwer, 2016. Governmental Forms and Economic Development: From Medieval to Modern Times. Springer. pp. 271–. ISBN 978-3-319-42040-0.
- Friso Wielenga, 2015. A History of the Netherlands: From the Sixteenth Century to the Present Day. Bloomsbury Publishing. p. 107. ISBN 978-1-4725-6962-2.
- Adriaan Goslinga, 2012. Slingelandt’s Efforts Towards European Peace. Springer Science & Business Media. p. 3. ISBN 978-94-015-0853-7.
- Adriaan Goslinga, Slingelandt's efforts towards European peace, Martinus Nijhoff The Hague 1915.
- Piotr Napierała, Simon van Slingelandt (1664–1736) – last chance of the Dutch Republic, Libron-Filip Lohner, Kraków 2013. ISBN 978-83-62196-89-0
- Media related to Simon van Slingelandt at Wikimedia Commons
| Treasurer-General of the United Provinces
Anthonie van der Heim
Isaac van Hoornbeek
| Grand Pensionary of Holland
Anthonie van der Heim
|This article about a Dutch politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|