Simpang Renggam is a town in Kluang District, Johor, Malaysia. It lies on the old main trunk road that used to take the majority of the North-South traffic going through Johor before the opening of the North-South Expressway.
Simpang Renggam houses the 5th Battalion Royal Malaysian Police General Operation Force (Malay: Pasukan Gerakan AM PGA Batalion 5).
The Simpang Renggam Prison, built in 1986, is located near the town. Under the prison administration is the Simpang Renggam Behavioural Rehabilitation Centre, the largest drug rehabilitation centre in the country.
In 2004 over 1,500 tons of toxic waste were found stored in an abandoned brick factory. The toxic waste had been illegally imported from Taiwan. As of 2006 the toxic waste still had not been taken care of.
- Renggam, approximately 12 km northeast
- "Simpang Renggam Prison Director Promoted as Prisons Department Deputy DG" Bernama The Malaysian National News Agency 13 May 2003
- "Detention camp gets Suhakam green light" New Straits Times (Malaysia) 24 November 2004
- "Move to hasten return of waste" R. Sittamparam New Straits Times (Malaysia) 23 September 2004
- "Stop this illegal dumping " New Straits Times (Malaysia) 16 January 2006
|This Johor location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|