|Directed by||Rebecca Cremona|
|Written by||David Grech|
|Edited by||Daniel Lapira|
Simshar is a 2014 Maltese drama film directed by Rebecca Cremona. It was selected as the Maltese entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 87th Academy Awards, but was not nominated. It was the first time that Malta submitted a film for the Best Foreign Language Oscar. The film tells the story of the Simshar tragedy.
During 2015 and 2016, Simshar entered the global festival circuit, collecting several awards including the Special Achievement Award at the International Filmfestival Mannheim-Heidelberg and Best International Feature at Edmonton International Film Festival. In 2015 Gravitas Ventures (US) obtained the worldwide distribution rights for the film including for VOD platforms.
- Lotfi Abdelli as Simon
- Jimi Busuttil as Karmenu
- Sékouba Doucouré as Moussa
- Chrysander Agius as John
- Adrian Farrugia as Theo
- Clare Agius as Sharin
- Mark Mifsud as Alex
- List of submissions to the 87th Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of Maltese submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
- "Maltese film Simshar accepted for Oscar consideration". Times of Malta. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- "83 Countries In Competition For 2014 Foreign Language Film Oscar". AMPAS. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- "Oscar Attracts Best Foreign Language Film Submissions From a Record 83 Countries". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- "Simshar vies for Oscar foreign language film nominations". Malta Today. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- Jean Pierre Borg; Charlie Cauchi (2015). World Film Locations: Malta. Intellect Books. p. 74. ISBN 9781783204984.
- "Grand Newcomer Award 2015". Retrieved 7 October 2016.
- Gray, Tim (21 October 2015). "Gravitas to Distribute 'Simshar,' Feature from Malta". Retrieved 7 October 2016.
|This Maltese film-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This 2010s drama film–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|