In human–computer interaction, simultaneous editing is an end-user development technique allowing a user to make multiple simultaneous edits of text in a multiple selection at once through direct manipulation.
Multiple selections and cursors are typically created by using a keyboard shortcut to select repeated instances of the same text or text fragments surrounded by the same delimiters, by using a search feature to select all instances of a search term, by selecting the same column in multiple lines, or by selecting text or cursor positions with a mouse. The Lapis experimental web browser and text editor is also able to infer selections based on concept learning from positive and negative examples given by the user during a process known as selection guessing.
Tools for data wrangling (mass reformatting) also sometimes include commands for simultaneous editing of all data in a column or category.
Editors supporting simultaneous editing
- Simultaneous editing in Lapis
- Multiple selections and column selections in Sublime Text
- Multiple cursors in Cloud9
- Multi-cursor package in Atom
- Multiple selections in Visual Studio Code
- Multiple selections in Firefox developer tools
- Multiple-cursors in Emacs
- Multi Edit plug-in for gedit
- Multi-Editing Settings in Notepad++
- "LAPIS: Smart Editing with Text Structure".
- "LAPIS - Editing Text with Lightweight Structure". Retrieved 24 May 2016.
- "Sublime Text: The text editor you'll fall in love with". Retrieved 24 May 2016.
- "Try Out Sublime Text 2 For Your Cross-Platform Code Editing Needs". Retrieved 13 November 2012.
- "Multiple Cursors - Cloud9". Retrieved 24 May 2016.
- "Multi-cursor package". Retrieved 24 May 2016.
- "Multiple selections (multi-cursor)". Retrieved 4 November 2016.
- Heather Arthur and Robert Nyman (May 7, 2014). "Editable box model, multiple selection, Sublime Text keys + much more – Firefox Developer Tools Episode 31". Mozilla. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- "Multiple cursors for emacs".
- "Emacs Rocks! Episode 13: multiple-cursors". Retrieved 24 May 2016.
- "New gedit plugin: multi edit". and a demo video.
- "Multi editing".
- Copy-and-Paste between Overlapping Windows by Olivier Chapuis, Nicolas Roussel. In Proceedings of CHI'07. "Other systems have been proposed to support fast copy-paste of multiple selections or text entities like phone numbers"
- LAPIS: Smart Editing with Text Structure introductory article.
- Lightweight Structured Text Processing, an extended description
- Robert C. Miller, Brad A. Myers: Multiple selections in smart text editing. 103-110, IUI 2002, Proceedings of the 2002 International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces, January 13–16, 2002, San Francisco, California, USA. ACM, 2002, ISBN 1-58113-459-2