||This article possibly contains original research. (October 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Labels||Victory, Facedown, Strike First|
|Associated acts||Falling Cycle, Engraved, Oblige|
|Past members||Jeff Santo
Sinai Beach is a Christian metal band that was formed in Riverside, California in 2000. The band has stated on multiple occasions that they are named after Mount Sinai, where Moses was given the Ten Commandments in the Bible.
Early Beginnings (2000-2006)
Sinai Beach was started by vocalist CJ Alderson, guitarist Logan Lambert, drummer Mike Dunlap, and bassist Jeff Santo. They recorded a four-song demo and played mostly local shows. Their recording and performances gained attention of No Innocent Victim drummer, Jason Dunn. Shortly after signing with Dunn's label, Facedown Records, guitarist Mike Risinger joined on guitar. The five began to write material for their second recording that became the band's first full release, When Breath Escapes. Vocalist CJ Alderson appeared on Zao's The Lesser Lights of Heaven DVD.
As the fan base and support continued to grow Sinai Beach started to receive interest from several well-known heavy music labels and eventually signed with Chicago-based Victory Records. This allowed them the opportunity to tour with bands such as Zao, As I Lay Dying, Norma Jean, Haste the Day, Still Remains, Himsa, Bleeding Through, Comeback Kid and Terror. After several US and European tours, Sinai Beach released their second full album Immersed.
Sinai Beach gained some attention after a man attended one of their shows on a whim and found himself telling Alderson that his girlfriend was in the hospital dying. Alderson then went to the hospital after the show and prayed for his girlfriend while she lay in intensive care. In somewhat of a miracle (Sinai Beach is a Christian band), she was moved out of ICU the next morning, fully recovered from the incident; to this day, they both keep in contact with him.[unreliable source?]
Hiatus and Resurrection (2006-present)
Sinai Beach is listed as "Artist Alumni" on the Victory Records website and several of the members have moved away and married since the band last played together live. Sean Durham and Erik Collins both joined the band in 2006 following the departure of Santo and the brief hiatus of Risinger. Dunlap and Lambert still reside in the Riverside area, while Risinger, Durham and Collins are in the surrounding area. Alderson moved to North Carolina in 2009.
Early influences of the band include Overcome, Zao, Strongarm, Throwdown, and Living Sacrifice. But the members have stated that influences changed in later years to include Black Label Society, The Cult and Pantera, although have admitted in times past that they are heavily into death metal bands such as Suffocation, Nile, and Aborted.
- Courtney "CJ" Alderson - Vocals (2000–present)
- Logan Lambert - Lead guitar (2000–present)
- Sean Durham - Rhythm guitar (2006–present) (ex-Falling Cycle)
- Mike Risinger - Rhythm guitar (2001–present)
- Erik Collins - Bass (2006–present)
- Mike Dunlap - Drums (2000-2003, 2004–present)
- Former members
- Studio albums
- Reinecker, Meg (April 19, 2005). "Sinai Beach – Immersed". Punknews.org. Retrieved December 26, 2015.
- Isaac, Daniel (2003) Sinai Beach at the Wayback Machine (archive index). HM Magazine. Retrieved on May 17, 2016.
- "Sinai Beach - When Breath Escapes". Scene Point Blank. Retrieved December 26, 2015.
- "Sinai Beach – Immersed". AllMusic. Retrieved August 22, 2015.
- Sinai Beach Interview Unbound Zine, Retrieved on September 1, 2006
- personal interview with C.J., May 10, 2010
- "Sinai Beach reuniting for Facedown Fest 2014". Indie Vision Music. November 19, 2013.
- "Sinai Beach announces Resurrection". Indie Vision Music. March 30, 2014.
- Charts, Allmusic