Sinatra & Company
|Sinatra & Company|
|Studio album by|
|Recorded||February 11, 1969 –|
October 29, 1970
|Genre||Traditional pop, bossa nova, soft rock|
|Producer||Don Costa (tracks: B1 to B7), Sonny Burke (tracks: A1 to A7)|
|Frank Sinatra chronology|
The original artwork
The bossa nova recordings were originally cut for a follow-up to the widely acclaimed Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim. Arranged by Eumir Deodato, the recordings had been completed, the artwork finalized, and an 8-track tape release of the planned album, titled Sinatra–Jobim, briefly made available when the decision was made to retrench. Some of Sinatra's less mainstream albums hadn't performed well, and anxieties drove the creation of this hybrid.
Three songs recorded at the Sinatra-Jobim session – "Bonita", "Sabiá", and "Off Key (Desafinado)" – were omitted from Sinatra & Company. "Sabiá" was released in the USA as the flip side of the 45 rpm single "Lady Day" (Reprise 0970) in 1970, and was issued along with "Bonita" on the 1977 compilation Portrait of Sinatra and the 1979 compilation, Sinatra–Jobim Sessions . "Off Key (Desafinado)" was unreleased until its inclusion on the box set The Complete Reprise Studio Recordings in 1995. In 2010 the Concord Records label issued Sinatra–Jobim: The Complete Reprise Recordings, a comprehensive collection of all the tracks recorded by Sinatra and Jobim.
A few 8 track versions of Sinatra–Jobim did survive, and are now eagerly sought after by collectors.
- "Drinking Water" (Vinicius de Moraes, Antônio Carlos Jobim, Norman Gimbel) – 2:35
- "Someone to Light Up My Life" (de Moraes, Jobim, Gene Lees) – 2:37
- "Triste" (Jobim) – 2:40
- "Don't Ever Go Away (Por Causa de Você) (Ray Gilbert, Dolores Durán, Jobim) – 2:28
- "This Happy Madness (Estrada Branca) (de Moraes, Jobim, Lees) – 2:57
- "Wave" (Jobim) – 3:25
- "One Note Samba (Samba de uma Nota Só)" (Jobim, Newton Mendonça, Jon Hendricks) – 2:20
- "I Will Drink the Wine" (Paul Ryan) – 3:30
- "(They Long to Be) Close to You" (Burt Bacharach, Hal David) – 2:34
- "Sunrise in the Morning" (Ryan) – 2:50
- "Bein' Green" (Joe Raposo) – 3:00
- "My Sweet Lady" (John Denver) – 3:01
- "Leaving on a Jet Plane" (John Denver) – 2:25
- "Lady Day" (Bob Gaudio, Jake Holmes) – 3:41
- Frank Sinatra – vocals
- Antônio Carlos Jobim – guitar, scat singing (tracks 1–7)
- Don Costa – arranger, conductor (tracks 8–14)
- Eumir Deodato – arranger (tracks 1–7)
- Morris Stoloff – conductor (tracks 1–7)
- Sinatra & Company on AllMusic "Taken on its own terms, the second half of Sinatra & Company ranks as some of his best soft rock-influenced material of the late '60s, even if it doesn't sit comfortably with the excellent bossa nova that comprises the first side of the record."
- Allmusic review
- Andrew Male Mojo, January 2010, Issue 194.