Sinchon Museum of American War Atrocities
||This article has been nominated to be checked for its neutrality. (April 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|This article's factual accuracy is disputed. (April 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The Sinchon Museum of American War Atrocities (Korean: 신천박물관) is a museum dedicated to the Sinchon Massacre, a mass-murder of North Korean civilians that was purportedly carried out by US troops during the Korean War. The museum is located in Sinchon County of North Korea. In July of 2015, the museum was rebuilt and moved to a new location in the county.
The Sinchon Museum of American War Atrocities commemorates the alleged deaths of over 35,000 people from the 17th of October to the 7th of December in 1950, at the same period of time when the major cities of North Korea, such as Pyongyang (the capital city) and Hamhung, were under a wartime occupation by South Korean, American and United Nations military forces.
The Institute for Korean Historical Studies concluded that both Communists and anti-Communist vigilantes engaged in wholesale slaughter throughout the area, and that the 19th Infantry Regiment took the city and failed to prevent the secret police that came with them from perpetuating the civilian murders; however, the regiment did not participate themselves. Furthermore, when Communists retook the city, the population was again purged. Other sources have concluded that the "massacre" was caused by a local rivalry that used the fog of war as a pretense.
- "50th Anniversary of Sinchon Museum Observed". Korean News. Japan. Retrieved March 13, 2011. External link in
- Institute for Korean Historical Studies. 《사진과 그림으로보는 북한현대사》 p91~p93
- The Truth About the Sinchun Massacre Archived June 19, 2013, at the Wayback Machine.
- Review: Hwang Sok-yong, The Guest (Seven Stories Press, 2005)
- "'They Are Cannibals': Kim Jong-un Visits North Korea's US War Atrocities Museum". VICE News. November 26, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sinchon Museum of American War Atrocities.|
- Sinchon Calls for Revenge at Naenara
- Sinchon Museum picture album at Naenara
- Another picture album at Naenara
- Photo gallery of museum artifacts on Flickr
- Traveller's blog about North Korea, with webpage dedicated to Sinchon