|Elevation AMSL||203 ft / 62 m|
Sindhudurg Airport, also known as Chipi Airport, is an airport at Chipi-Parule, Taluka- Vengurla in Sindhudurg district, in the State of Maharashtra, India. It is located 27 kilometres from the Mumbai - Goa highway, 12 kilometres from Malvan close to the sea shore. Construction was completed by the second half of 2018 and a familiarisation flight (Test Flight) from Mumbai Airport landed on 12 September 2018 on occasion of Ganesh Chaturthi. The airport was formally inaugurated on 5 March 2019. Alliance Air, a former Air India subsidiary, is the only airline operating flights from Mumbai. Commercial flights have started at the airport from 9 October 2021.
IRB Infrastructure won the bid to develop the airport in 2009 for a concession period of 95 years. The project received environmental clearance in March 2012. Work on the airport was completed in the second half of 2018. Work on the airport was expected to be completed by August 2014, but had been delayed because of issues in acquiring private land, among others.
After overcoming a series of delays, the airport was finally ready and launched operations from 9 October 2021.
The airport was built by IRB Sindhudurg Airport Pvt. Ltd. on a build–operate–transfer (BOT) basis for the Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation (MIDC). The airport was initially planned with a 3170 metre long runway at a cost of Rs. 175 crores. It is spread over 275 hectares and the 2500 metre runway can accommodate aircraft like the Airbus A320 and Boeing 737. The airport terminal building can handle 200 departing and 200 arriving passengers during peak hours. Sindhudurg Airport will shortly have foreign tourists as well and will have the following flight services:
Airlines and destinations
- On 21 November 2021, 25 to 30 Golden jackals were found straying on the runway. They were also found inside the airport's perimeter causing a delay of over 20 minutes the landing of a flight from Mumbai
- "Maharashtra's Sindhudurg Airport may begin regular operations soon! First 'test flight' to land on Sep 12". Financial Express. 8 September 2018. Retrieved 12 September 2018.
- "Successful test flight lands at Sindhudurg Airport". Press Information Bureau. 8 September 2018. Retrieved 12 September 2018.
- "IRB Infra wins Sindhudurg airport bid". MoneyControl. 4 August 2009. Retrieved 18 July 2012.
- "IRB Infra's Sindhudurg airport gets environmental clearance". CNBC-TV18. 20 March 2012. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- "Sindhudurg airport to be up next year". Daily News & Analysis. 8 May 2013. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- "International flights from Sindhudurg soon". Daily News & Analysis. 23 March 2018. Retrieved 12 September 2018.
- "Work on Chipi airport takes off". The Times of India. 14 April 2013. Archived from the original on 16 April 2013. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- "Development Greenfield Airport in Sindhudurg District". IRB Infra. Archived from the original on 29 June 2012. Retrieved 18 July 2012.