Sinfonia Concertante (Haydn)
The Sinfonia Concertante in B flat major (Hob. I/105), by Joseph Haydn was composed in London between February and March 1792. The work is a sinfonia concertante with four instruments in the solo group: violin, cello, oboe and bassoon. It is believed to be a response to similar works composed by Ignaz Pleyel, a former student of Haydn's who London newspapers were promoting as a 'rival' to Haydn. In addition to the solo group the Sinfonia Concertante is scored for flute, 2 oboes, 2 bassoons, 2 horns, 2 trumpets, timpani and strings.
The composition was written during the first of the composer's two visits to London. It is believed that Johann Peter Salomon asked Haydn to compose the work because of the success of similar works written by Pleyel and performed in a rival concert series.
The first performance was given on 9 March 1792, with Salomon as lead violinist in the solo group. The other members of the solo group are only known by their surnames, Harrington (Oboe), Holmes (Bassoon) and Menel (Cello). The performance was highly successful and not only was the work encored the following week, it was performed again during Haydn's 1794 visit to London with equal success.
There are three movements:
A typical performance will take between 21 to 25 minutes.
- Anderson, Keith (2000). "Liner notes - Haydn: Symphonies, Vol. 22 (Nos. 13, 36 / Sinfonia Concertante) Naxos 8.554762". Naxos Records. Retrieved 2019-06-14.
- Foglesong, Scott (2009-05-03). "Haydn's Sinfonia Concertante for London". Scottfoglesong.com. Retrieved 2019-06-14.
- Huscher, Phillip (2010). "Program Notes: Joseph Haydn - Sinfonia concertante in B-flat Major, Hob. I: 105" (PDF). Chicago Symphony Orchestra. Retrieved 2019-06-14.
- Shulman, Laurie (2013). "Programme Note - Bach and Beyond" (PDF). Dallas Symphony Orchestra. Retrieved 2013-06-01.[dead link]
- Wilson, Conrad (2009). "Programme Note - Sinfonia Concertante (Hadyn)". Scottish Chamber Orchestra. Archived from the original on 2015-03-25. Retrieved 2019-06-14.
- Sinfonia Concertante in B-flat major, Hob.I:105 (Haydn, Joseph): Scores at the International Music Score Library Project (IMSLP)
- Howard, Orrin. "Joseph Haydh - Sinfonia Concertante". LA Philharmonic. Archived from the original on 2016-03-03. Retrieved 2019-06-14.
- Wigmore, Richard (2011). The Faber Pocket Guide to Haydn. Faber. pp. 163–164.
- "Haydn: Sinfonia Concertante for Violin, Cello, Oboe and Bassoon in Bb Major, Hob I:105 - Performed by Bryn Athyn Orchestra, 24 February, 2008". Youtube. 2011-04-25. Retrieved 2018-01-12.