Sinfonia Concertante (Haydn)
The Sinfonia Concertante in B flat major (Hob. I/105), by Joseph Haydn was composed in London between February and March 1792. The work is a sinfonia concertante with four instruments in the solo group: violin, cello, oboe and bassoon. It is believed to be a response to similar works composed by Ignaz Pleyel, a former student of Haydn's who London newspapers were promoting as a 'rival' to Haydn.
The composition was written during the first of the composer's two visits to London. It is believed that Johann Peter Salomon asked Haydn to compose the work because of the success of similar works written by Pleyel and performed in a rival concert series.
The first performance was given on 9 March 1792, with Salomon as lead violinist in the solo group. The other members of the solo group are only known by their surnames, Harrington (Oboe), Holmes (Bassoon) and Menel (Cello). The performance was highly successful and not only was the work encored the following week, it was performed again during Haydn's 1794 visit to London with equal success.
There are three movements:
A typical performance will take between 21 to 25 minutes.
- Anderson, Keith (2000). "Liner notes - Haydn: Symphonies, Vol. 22 (Nos. 13, 36 / Sinfonia Concertante) Naxos 8.554762". Naxos Records. Retrieved July 2013. Check date values in:
- Foglesong, Scott (3 May 2009). "Haydn's Sinfonia Concertante for London". Scottfoglesong.com. Retrieved July 2013. Check date values in:
- Huscher, Phillip (2010). "Program Notes: Joseph Haydn - Sinfonia concertante in B-flat Major, Hob. I: 105" (PDF). Chicago Symphony Orchestra. Retrieved July 2013. Check date values in:
- Shulman, Laurie (2013). "Programme Note - Bach and Beyond" (PDF). Dallas Symphony Orchestra. Retrieved July 2013. Check date values in:
- Wilson, Conrad (2009). "Programme Note - Sinfonia Concertante (Hadyn)". Scottish Chamber Orchestra. Retrieved July 2013. Check date values in:
- Sinfonia Concertante in B-flat major, Hob.I:105 (Haydn, Joseph): Scores at the International Music Score Library Project (IMSLP)
- Howard, Orrin. "Joseph Haydh - Sinfonia Concertante". LA Philharmonic. Retrieved July 2013. Check date values in:
- Wigmore, Richard (2011). The Faber Pocket Guide to Haydn. Faber. pp. 163–164.
- "Haydn: Sinfonia Concertante for Violin, Cello, Oboe and Bassoon in Bb Major, Hob I:105 - Performed by Bryn Athyn Orchestra, 24 February, 2008". Youtube. 2011-04-25. Retrieved 2018-01-12.