Sing (Gary Barlow album)
|Studio album by Gary Barlow|
|Released||25 May 2012|
|Producer||Steven Baker, Gary Barlow, Ryan Carline, Jon Cohen, Eliot Kennedy, Steve Power|
|Gary Barlow chronology|
|Singles from Sing|
Sing is the third solo album released by British singer-songwriter Gary Barlow. The album was released through Decca Records on 25 May 2012 and features The Commonwealth Band which was created by Barlow to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Elizabeth II.
With Take That on hiatus after the completion of their record breaking Progress Live tour in 2011, Gary Barlow was approached by the Queen's advisers to discuss Barlow writing an original song which would become the official song of the Diamond Jubilee. Barlow then begun to shape ideas before enlisting the help of Andrew Lloyd Webber who was also asked to create a piece of music for the celebrations.
Once the title track, "Sing", was written; Barlow then re-recorded his version of "Here Comes the Sun" by The Beatles, which was used previously in a UK advertising campaign for Marks & Spencer, and added it to the release. Further to this he then worked with other singers and recorded new versions of older songs which were also included.
The album entered the UK Albums Chart at number 1 with sales of 40,020, becoming Gary Barlow's second solo number 1 album since Open Road which was released in May 1997. The album now holds the record for the shortest playing number one album in chart history. The album also reached number 1 on the Scottish Albums Chart and number 61 in Ireland. The album remained at number 1 in the UK Albums Chart the following week, selling 75,538 copies—the third highest weekly sale by any artist album in 2012, and the highest for 16 weeks. "Sing" also rose from 11 to number 1, making Barlow the first artist in 2012 to be number 1 on the album and singles chart in the same week. Upon the announcement of the album entering at number 1, Barlow said "I couldn't have wished for anything more on this momentous weekend!" in reference to the Diamond Jubilee celebrations. Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber, co-writer of lead single "Sing", added: "I'm absolutely thrilled, this is a burst of sunshine on a rainy Sunday".
|1.||"Sing" (Gary Barlow & The Commonwealth Band featuring Military Wives)||Gary Barlow, Andrew Lloyd Webber||Eliot Kennedy, Gary Barlow, Ryan Carline||4:35|
|2.||"Sing" (Gary Barlow & The Commonwealth Band)||Gary Barlow, Andrew Lloyd Webber||Ryan Carline, Gary Barlow||4:01|
|3.||"Here Comes the Sun" (Gary Barlow & The Commonwealth Band)||George Harrison||Steve Power||2:42|
|4.||"Amazing Grace" (Gary Barlow & The Commonwealth Band featuring Hayley Westenra)||John Newton||Ryan Carline, Gary Barlow||3:12|
|5.||"Stronger As One" (Gary Barlow & The Commonwealth Band featuring Laura Wright)||Robert Hartshorne||Steven Baker||3:28|
|6.||"Land of Hope and Glory" (Gary Barlow & The Commonwealth Band featuring Alfie Boe and Military Wives)||Edward Elgar, A. C. Benson||Steven Baker||3:30|
|7.||"God Save the Queen (National Anthem)" (Gary Barlow & The Commonwealth Band featuring Laura Wright)||Thomas Arne||Jon Cohen||2:39|
|Australian Albums (ARIA)||87|
|Irish Albums (IRMA)||61|
|Scottish Albums (OCC)||1|
|UK Albums (OCC)||1|
|UK Download (OCC Download)||1|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Gold||200,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
|Ireland||25 May 2012||CD, digital download||Decca Records|
|United Kingdom||28 May 2012|
- http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/gary-barlow-set-for-official-charts-diamond-double-1435/ 6 June 2012. Official Charts Company - Gary Barlow set for Official Charts Diamond double!06/06/2012
- Jubilee Official, Gary Barlow and Andrew Lloyd Webber to create a Diamond Jubilee song-Gary Barlow and Andrew Lloyd Webber are to write a song together to mark 60 years of The Queen's reign
- http://www.musicweek.com/story.asp?sectioncode=1&storycode=1049803&c=1 Worlds album chart : Gary Barlow LP sells 40k. 21:21 | Sunday 3 June 2012 By Alan Jones
- Official Charts Company Gary Barlow At Number 1 in Albums Chart. June, 3 2012
- http://www.musicweek.com/story.asp?sectioncode=1&storycode=1049854&c=1 Official Charts Analysis: Gary Barlow tops Album and Singles lists 10:02 | Monday 11 June 2012By Alan Jones
- http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/gary-barlow-tops-the-official-singles-and-official-albums-chart-with-sing-1438/ Gary Barlow tops the Official Singles AND Official Albums Chart with Sing 10 June 2012
- http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a385175/gary-barlow-grabs-first-solo-no1-album-since-1997-with-sing.html Digital Spy - Gary Barlow grabs first solo No.1 album since 1997 with 'Sing'Published Sunday, 3 June 2012, 19:00 BST | By Tom Eames
- Ryan, Gavin (2011). Australia's Music Charts 1988–2010. Mt. Martha, VIC, Australia: Moonlight Publishing.
- " Stats – Gary Barlow". Chart Stats. Retrieved 29 May 2012.
- "Gary Barlow lands Official Number 1 album for Diamond". Scottish Album Chart Archive 16 June 2012 Official Chart Company. Retrieved 10 June 2012.
- "Gary Barlow lands Official Number 1 album for Diamond ". Gary Barlow lands Official Number 1 album for Diamond Official Chart Company. Retrieved 3 June 2012.
- "UK Album Downloads Top 40 - 9th June 2012 ". UK Album Downloads Top 40 - 9 June 2012 Official Chart Company. Retrieved 3 June 2012.
- "British album certifications – Gary Barlow – Sing". British Phonographic Industry. Enter Sing in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select album in the field By Format. Select Gold in the field By Award. Click Search
- iTunes - Music - Sing by Gary Barlow & The Commonwealth Band