Sing It Back
|"Sing It Back (Boris Musical Mix)"|
|Single by Moloko|
|from the album I Am Not a Doctor|
|Genre||Single version: Electronica, house, dance-pop
Album version: Trip hop, alternative dance
|Length||4:40 (single version)
4:23 (album version)
Sire/Warner Bros. Records (US)
|Writer(s)||Róisín Murphy, Mark Brydon.|
|Producer(s)||Moloko and remix production by Boris Dlugosch|
|Moloko singles chronology|
"Sing It Back" is a song written and performed by Moloko (Róisín Murphy and Mark Brydon). It first appeared in its original version on Moloko's second album, I Am Not a Doctor; it was released as a single in March 1999, reaching number 45 on the UK Singles Chart. The song experienced chart success after it was remixed by DJ Boris Dlugosch, peaking at number four in the UK in August 1999. Murphy had started writing the lyrics while clubbing in New York City, and knew the song was at heart a dance track, but the group wanted to record it in a different artistic fashion for its album version.
Together with their record company they had commissioned mixes by Todd Terry (who had turned Everything But the Girl's "Missing" into an international club anthem). Moloko were not satisfied with the Terry mix and had to convince their label Echo Records to put out the Boris D. version instead. The remixed version was eventually featured on over 100 compilations, and was later added on Moloko's third album, Things to Make and Do, after hitting the top ten on the UK Singles Chart. In 1999 it reached number one on the US dance chart. As a form of barter for the remix, Moloko vocalist Róisín Murphy later co-wrote and appeared on Boris D.'s "Never Enough" single, starring in the video for that release as well.
The music video features Moloko vocalist Róisín Murphy dancing alone in a metallic flapper dress, accompanied by psychedelic lighting effects. The video was directed by Dawn Shadforth. The video is featured on the DVD of Moloko's special edition for the Statues album. Several live videos exist as well, including one in the group's live concert movie 11,000 Clicks, a similar concert version from the Dutch Pinkpop broadcast, a televised version from the TV show Later... with Jools Holland, and a samba version featured on MTV Brasil.
Track listings and formats
- Boris Dlugosch did the "Boris Musical Mix", the most widely heard version. (9:17)
- Boris Dlugosch also made the B.M.R Clubcut mix (7:13)
- Matthew Herbert (who would later coproduce Murphy's solo debut) did a "Tasteful Dub", reportedly adding only one sampled sound and using the original recording for the rest. (5:58)
- Todd Terry's Radio Mix was also released. (3:26)
- Mousse T. contributed two mixes, "Mousse T.'s Bootleg Dub" and "Mousse T.'s Feel Love Remix", which uses a similar synthesised bass riff to the influential disco song "I Feel Love" by Donna Summer.
- In 2012 Andy Caldwell and Michael Teixeira collaborated on a cover featuring vocals by Lisa Donnelly.
- In 2015 DJ/Producer Ash with the female vocalist Naila collaborated to make one of the best remixes/covers of the original song!The Deep House edition counts more than 850.000 plays totally on many platforms as YouTube & SoundCloud.Also,this remix is been playing in some radio stations throughout Europe and especially in Greece.
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||31|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Wallonia)||26|
|Canada Dance (RPM)||2|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||47|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||24|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||27|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||18|
|United Kingdom (Official Charts Company)||4|
|US Dance Club Songs (Billboard)||1|
"Big Love" by Pete Heller
|Billboard Hot Dance Club Play number-one single
July 3, 1999 – July 10, 1999
"What You Need" by
Powerhouse feat. Duane Harden
- "Sing It Back". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 20 April 2015.
- Uno Recordings: Music
- "Australian-charts.com – Moloko – Sing It Back". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Ultratop.be – Moloko – Sing It Back" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – Moloko – Sing It Back" (in French). Ultratop 50.
- Canadian peak
- "Lescharts.com – Moloko – Sing It Back" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Musicline.de – Moloko Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Italiancharts.com – Moloko – Sing It Back". Top Digital Download.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Moloko search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Charts.org.nz – Moloko – Sing It Back". Top 40 Singles.
- Salaverri, Fernando (September 2005). Sólo éxitos: año a año, 1959–2002 (1st ed.). Spain: Fundación Autor-SGAE. ISBN 8480486392.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Moloko – Sing It Back". Singles Top 60.
- "Swisscharts.com – Moloko – Sing It Back". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Moloko – Chart history" Billboard Hot Dance Club Songs for Moloko.