Sing Out! Volume 50 #2 (Summer 2006), cover, featuring Dar Williams
|First issue||May 1950|
|Company||Sing Out! Corporation|
Sing Out! is the primary publication of the tax exempt, not-for-profit, educational corporation of the same name. According to the organization's web site, "Sing Out!'s mission is to preserve and support the cultural diversity and heritage of all traditional and contemporary folk musics, and to encourage making folk music a part of our everyday lives." Irwin Silber was an important co-founder and long-time editor from 1951 to 1967. Its current editor and executive director, since 1983, is Mark D. Moss. The editors apply a very broad definition of folk music including material from contemporary singer-songwriters, Americana, roots, blues, bluegrass, and world music.
One defining feature of the magazine is the inclusion of 15 or more songs with lyrics and music within the pages of each issue—supplemented since 2001 with an illustrative CD. The magazine also contains in-depth articles profiling musicians and musical traditions, "teach-ins," reviews of recordings and print publications, a comprehensive festival and camp listing, and columns covering topics such as songwriting, storytelling, children's music, and the folk process.
The corporate headquarters of Sing Out! is located on the southside of Bethlehem, Pennsylvania which is also home to the Sing Out! Resource Center. The magazine is distributed internationally by mail subscriptions and can be found in many bookstores and libraries throughout North America.
Sing Out! publications
In addition to the quarterly magazine the corporation also offers an extensive mail order catalog of printed material on folk-music and folklore. The catalog includes other Sing Out! publications, such as the popular folk music fake book, Rise Up Singing.
The Sing Out! Resource Center
The Sing Out! Resource Center (SORCe) is a collection of recordings, photos, books, periodicals and other items. It is located in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.
Sing Out! Radio Magazine
- Singout website. Accessed October 20, 2008.
- Ronald D. Cohen, Rainbow Quest: The Folk Music Revival & American Society, 1940-1970 (Amherst: University of Massachusetts Press, 2002), pp. 74-75 and 264-268.
- Geoff Gehman, "Bethlehem's 'Sing Out!' magazine launches syndicated show on WDIY-FM", The Morning Call, Allentown, PA, October 28, 2006 link
- "Sing Out! Radio Magazine". Retrieved 2011-10-17.
- Official site
- text from recent issues from findarticles.com
- additional text reprints from highbeam.com
- Sing Out! Magazine Discography from folklib.net (not up-to-date).