Singapore Armed Forces Overseas Scholarship
Singapore Armed Forces Overseas Scholarship, abbreviated as SAFOS, is a scholarship issued by the Public Service Commission (PSC). The SAFOS is second in prestige to the President's Scholarship. 292 of such scholarships have been awarded as of the year 2013.
SAFOS scholars are groomed for the highest levels of command and management in the SAF and beyond. They generally do another post-graduate degree in Master of Business Administration or Master in Public Policy overseas in the middle of their careers to prepare themselves for appointments beyond the Singapore Armed Forces. Upon graduation, SAFOS scholars go through different tour of duty from other cadet officers.
The scholarship is awarded to outstanding officer cadets with excellent A level/IB results, impressive co-curricular activities and outstanding performance in Officer Cadet School. They are culled from the Scholar Delta Company in Singapore Armed Forces Officer Cadet School (Singapore).
After they are selected through rigorous rounds of interviews, scholars drop out from their course at the Officer Cadet School to begin their undergraduate studies overseas. Their overseas studies typically takes place in the United Kingdom or United States. Popular choices amongst scholars include universities such as Imperial College London, Cambridge University, Oxford University, Harvard University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Stanford University, Princeton University, University of Chicago, and University of California, Berkeley.
Notable Past Recipients
- Lee Hsien Loong (3rd Prime Minister of Singapore)
- Teo Chee Hean (Current Deputy Prime Minister of Singapore)
- Lim Hng Kiang (Current Minister for Trade and Industry)
- Lim Swee Say (Current Minister for Manpower)
- Chan Chun Sing (Current Minister in Prime Minister's Office)
- Tan Chuan Jin (Current Minister for Social and Family Development)
- George Yeo (former foreign minister of Singapore)
- Peter Ho (former head of Singapore's civil service)
- Lee Seow Hiang (chief executive of Changi Airport Group)
- Perry Lim (Chief of Defence Force of SAF)
- Melvyn Ong (Chief of Army of SAF)
- Lew Chuen Hong (Chief of Navy of SAF)
- Lim Chuan Poh (Chairman of A*STAR)
- Ng Chee Peng (CEO of Central Provident Fund Board)
- Ng Chee Khern (Permanent Secretary of Prime Minister’s Office)
- Neo Kian Hong (Permanent Secretary of Ministry of Defence)
- Lim Neo Chian (Chairman of AVA)
- Lee Hsien Yang (Chairman of Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore)
- Desmond Kuek (former Chief of Defence Force)
- Bey Soo Khiang (former Chief of Defence Force)
1. Speech by Minister for Defence Dr Ng Eng Hen at the 2013 Singapore Armed Forces Overseas Scholarship Award Presentation Ceremony http://www.mindef.gov.sg/content/imindef/press_room/official_releases/sp/2013/29jul13_speech.html