Single White Female (song)
|"Single White Female"|
|Single by Chely Wright|
|from the album Single White Female|
|B-side||"Let Me In"|
|Released||March 1, 1999|
|Chely Wright singles chronology|
"Single White Female" is a song written by Carolyn Dawn Johnson and Shaye Smith, and recorded by American country music artist Chely Wright. It was released in March 1999 as the first single and title track from the album Single White Female. The song became Wright's first and only number-one hit on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs charts. Additionally, fellow country artist Trisha Yearwood sings harmony vocals on the song.
The music video was directed by Deaton Flanigen and premiered in March 1999. It takes place entirely on a city bus, with Chely performing by herself in the back of the bus, and in another scene with two backup singers and two guitarists while standing on the bus. In the beginning, it shows many of the bus's patrons, before moving to a "single white female looking for a special lover". Two men get on and eventually leave the bus (having being seated in the row next to her and behind her, respectively) before a third man comes on and sits next to her, where they glance at each other. The man eventually gets up, accidentally leaving his book on his seat. The woman grabs it and returns it to him, then they both walk off smiling at each other.
"Single White Female" debuted at number 66 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks for the week of March 13, 1999, and peaked at number 36 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, making it her highest peak on that chart as of April 2019.
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||36|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||3|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||12|
- Whitburn, Joel (2008). Hot Country Songs 1944 to 2008. Record Research, Inc. pp. 476–477. ISBN 0-89820-177-2.
- allmusic (((Chely Wright > Biography)))
- "Top RPM Country Tracks: Issue 8454." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. September 20, 1999. Retrieved July 7, 2013.
- "Chely Wright Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Chely Wright Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- "RPM Top 100 Country Tracks of 1999". RPM. December 13, 1999. Retrieved July 7, 2013.
- "Best of 1999: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 1999. Retrieved August 25, 2012.