First hardcover ediiton
|February 5, 2008|
|Media type||Print (Hardback)|
|Pages||320 pp. (Hardback 1st edition)|
The story is set in a future after a singularity event, which caused the bulk of humanity to disappear. The focus of this event was a huge space station which rings the Earth, and which remains uninhabited after the singularity. Humans who remained on Earth have maintained an industrial technological base, and are working to re-enter space. The majority of humans are now genetically engineered to form pods, groups of 2 to 5 individuals with the ability to form an emergent personality from those individuals.
The story follows a young pod named Apollo Papadopulos who is training to become the captain of a new starship which is to be launched soon. Apollo Papadopulos is composed of five teenagers; Strom, Meda, Quant, Manuel and Moira. The story moves between the points of view of each of these individuals, and that of Apollo Papadopulos itself.
- 2008, United States, Tor Books ISBN 978-0-7653-1777-3, Pub date February 2008, Hardcover 
- 2009, United States, Tor Science Fiction ISBN 978-0-7653-5702-1, Pub date April 2008, Paperback 
Awards and nominations
- 2009 Compton Crook Award winner
- Review by Greg L. Johnson
- Review by Gwyneth Jones
- Review by Ryun Patterson
- Review by Max Falkowitz
- Review by Mary Fitzpatrick
- Review by Harriet Klausner
- Review by Richard Gingell
- Review by Publishers Weekly
- Brief Synopsis and publication information in Locus' list of new books for February 2008
- Brief Synopsis an publication information
|This article about a 2000s science fiction novel is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.
See guidelines for writing about novels. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.