Sinjong of Goryeo
|Sinjong of Goryeo|
|Revised Romanization||Wang Tak|
|Monarchs of Korea
King Sinjong of Goryeo (11 August 1144 – 15 February 1204, r. 1197–1204) was the twentieth monarch of the Goryeo dynasty of Korea. The fifth son of King Injong, Sinjong took the throne after his brother King Myeongjong was sent into exile by Choe Chungheon.
He was wise, but like his brother before him had no true power, which was in the hands of Choe Chungheon (this marked the beginning of the Choe family's military rule). Sinjong also witnessed the kin strife of the Choe family and soon after became ill, abdicating in favor of his son King Huijong.
- Father : King Injong of Goryeo (29 October 1109 – 10 April 1146) (고려 인종)
- Grandfather : King Yejong of Goryeo (11 February 1079 – 15 May 1122) (고려 예종)
- Grandmother : Queen Sundeok of the Incheon Lee clan (? - 5 September 1118) (순덕왕후 이씨)
- Mother : Queen Gongye of the Jangheung Im clan (7 September 1109 - 1183) (공예왕후 임씨)
- Grandfather : Im Won-Hu (1089 - 1156) (임원후)
- Queen Seonjeong of the Kaesong Wang clan (? - 1222) (선정왕후 왕씨)
- King Huijong of Goryeo (21 June 1181 - 31 August 1237) (고려 희종)
- Wang Seo, Prince Yangyang (왕서 양양공)
- Princess Hyohoe (1183 - 1199) (효회공주)
- Princess Gyeongnyeong (경녕궁주)
- It is said that he begged Choe Chungheon to allow his son to rule and not to destroy the Goryeo dynasty.
Sinjong of GoryeoBorn: 11 August 1144 Died: 15 February 1204
|King of Goryeo